Thread: Very Old Daystate Huntman PCP - Help please!

Very Old Daystate Huntman PCP - Help please!

Hi Folks.

Tony, my esteemed friend and shooting buddy has got a Daystate Huntsman.
    It has a brass air cylinder and what appears to be a beautiful trigger.

On the block it says..
    Daystate England - Huntsman
    SWP 3000 PSI
    Serial Number:HL1304

The filler probe is marked Foster 12 FS.

I just wondered if any one could tell me anything about it. It appears to be very old. But also appears to shoot and feel like something of supreme quality. Its .177 and has scope rails + a nice flip up rear and hooded metallic foresight.

What is it chaps? Is it good? bad? rare? mass produced? can you tell me anything please?

I dont have any knowledge when it comes to older or collectable air rifles. Unless of course they are Weihrauch .

Many Thanks

AD K

Pre-runner to the Harrier IIRC and not particularly rare, though the brass cylinder may make it a Midas version. Can't say I've seen one with open sights though.

I sold a near mint .177 Huntsman on here recently for a friend for £240.

I'm sure someone with better info will be along soon enough, Sniper22 has an unhealthy interest in Daystates.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Thanks Rich,

I appreciate all and any and any info mate. Its got a brass trigger guard and what appears to be a factory brass trigger shoe on two grub screws.

Should've taken a picture!! damn!

ADK

Although most would refer to this as a Midas due to the brass reservoir, I have come across them referred to as a Huntsman Low - hence the HL prefix, as to what it means, I am not exactly sure but possibly relates to Don Lowndes who developed some early prototype pneumatic rifles adopted by Daystate.

My guess this would be early to mid 1980's in origin, as to value I had one in .22 that I bought for £175 although sold it on as I got into collecting classic FT rifles. Although one of these in .177 would interest me as they were used by a few early FT shooters, the young Mickey Andrews being one from that time period.

As stated elsewhere Sniper22 will probably be able to add more definitive info.

Cheers Rockdrill, I can do some research on the info you have given me.
    Have pm'd Sniper22 too.

I cant believe how crisp the trigger feels on this thing. It really is something to behold!!

AD K

huntsman low,black reservoir,04/02/1988

Interesting about the trigger, the standard trigger on these early rifles was shall we say simple in its design - well crude, a simple pivoting hook that directly engaged the striker - and the one I had was quite creepy.

sniper22 Guest
    ENTRY IN DATABASE -HUNTSMAN LOW -618FPS - 6 MAR 87

thats all there is. id fill it to 160 bar and check it for power and cocsistency. trigger, there were 2 units fitted, the single stage as already mentioned and the ftr style 2 stage. having said that, the crx trigger may fit too.
    the problem is all guns get modified and without pics its tough to decipher.

ps the foster coupling is later, the original filler was 1/8 bsp female with a knurled brass cover

Thanks for the info Sniper22, and everyone else!!

Wow you guys dont half know your stuff!!

Gonna get some pictures hopefully at the weekend. Is there anything in particular that I need to photograph? should I be taking it out of the stock and photographing the trigger assembly?

Cheers!!

AD K

would this be customised as i have two daystate hunsman mk1 and the fill pressure was originally 2000psi, one of mine has an uprated one which is good for 2700psi.
    the r/h one is uprated and has a brass trigger guard and brass match grade trigger which i took apart and duplicated for the sporter which had the crappy plate trigger with absolutely no feel to it at all

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/