Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeman P3 for matches?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Beeman P3 for matches?

How many on the list use or have used a Beeman P3 (aka HW 40) for 10m competition?

I just got mine a couple days ago. I realize that it's not a competition gun, but it shoots well enough that it's going to take ME a long while to "get better than it is"!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I have had one and shot it at 10m, its awful mate, you end up not knowing if those loose shots were you or the gun, the power is very inconsistant and on mine it could vary by 50fps per shot!

After i got my LP10 i realised that the gun was crap and i wasn't too bad after all

A better bet for you would be to start with a Gamo or FAS as they seem to be more consistant.

HTH
    Air Arms S410 carbine, camo dipped
    Steyr LP10 Target Pistol

I used a HW40 until about 18 months ago, as you say it isn't a target pistol as such but it felt nice, I got the trigger nicely adjusted with a very short second stage. There certainly didn't seem to be anything obviously inconsistent with the gun affecting accuracy: I was eventually getting results in the low 170s/200 - is this reasonable?

One thing which surprised me at first was the amount of muzzle flip - to try and minimize this I used a light pellet, RWS Hobby. I ended up casting some lead weights, to fit inside the grip but more importantly inside, and underneath, the front of the frame to alter the balance.

Just curious, is the P3 the original german made, or the chinese made (but "german engineered", as the adverts like to remind us) version?

Iain

PS I suppose I should just add I am shooting a bit better with a better gun (IZH-46).

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_D View Post
    I have had one and shot it at 10m, its awful mate, you end up not knowing if those loose shots were you or the gun, the power is very inconsistant and on mine it could vary by 50fps per shot!

After i got my LP10 i realised that the gun was crap and i wasn't too bad after all

A better bet for you would be to start with a Gamo or FAS as they seem to be more consistant.

HTH
    I'll need to look into those other arms. Thanks, Phil!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Muzzle flip a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    I used a HW40 until about 18 months ago, as you say it isn't a target pistol as such but it felt nice, I got the trigger nicely adjusted with a very short second stage. There certainly didn't seem to be anything obviously inconsistent with the gun affecting accuracy: I was eventually getting results in the low 170s/200 - is this reasonable?

One thing which surprised me at first was the amount of muzzle flip - to try and minimize this I used a light pellet, RWS Hobby. I ended up casting some lead weights, to fit inside the grip but more importantly inside, and underneath, the front of the frame to alter the balance.

Just curious, is the P3 the original german made, or the chinese made (but "german engineered", as the adverts like to remind us) version?

Iain

PS I suppose I should just add I am shooting a bit better with a better gun (IZH-46).
    I have heard good things about the IZH.

I'm not sure about the heritage of the P3 - whether it's exactly the same thing as the HW 40 or not. The box indicates American: but then, HW's are made in Germany, aren't they?

Muzzle flip? Yes, mine jumps all over the place! I keep wishing it had a longer and heavier barrel: which surprises me, since with cartridge revolvers I generally prefer 4 inch barrels.

Jim

This is my understanding:

HW40PCA is made in Germany
    Beeman P3 is made in Germany and badged as a Beeman for the US market.
    Beeman 2004E is made in China under licence from HW and so is a licenced copy (rather than a rip-off) of the HW40/P3, and is badged for sale using the Beeman brand outside the US.

I don't have one but have shot a HW40 and Phil_D must have had a bad one. Accuracy is good, consistency is good, trigger is very good, far better than the norm for plinking pistols and far better trigger than anything from Gamo (not knocking Gamo in any way here, it's just a fact).
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks, Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    This is my understanding:

HW40PCA is made in Germany
    Beeman P3 is made in Germany and badged as a Beeman for the US market.
    Beeman 2004E is made in China under licence from HW and so is a licenced copy (rather than a rip-off) of the HW40/P3, and is badged for sale using the Beeman brand outside the US.

I don't have one but have shot a HW40 and Phil_D must have had a bad one. Accuracy is good, consistency is good, trigger is very good, far better than the norm for plinking pistols and far better trigger than anything from Gamo (not knocking Gamo in any way here, it's just a fact).
    Thanks for the info about their heritage, Adam!

I concur with what you said about firing the Beeman. Just this minute cam in from doing so, and was able to hold steadier this time (less coffee!)

Thanks also for the info on the Gamo, I was thinking about "trading up" to one: reckon I'll stick with my P3.

Jim

Question 2300

Why not have a look at these Jim

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1308

I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

Except for the power source...

Pete, I like the weight, length, velocity, and ability to mount a scope: but I'm leery about having to use a C02 powerlet. I like the idea of "pump your own power."

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,
    For 10m target shooting, the Beeman will be a waste of time; you will be proud to get 10 on the card, regardless of score.

Rather than spending megabucks just to get started, why not get either a Daisy 717 or 747 or a Crosman 1377 pump-up. The 747 is a serious 1st target pistol and is only $145 at Pilkguns, maybe less at Pyramidair or the other discounters. The Crosman is around $55, but the price does not reflect the high accuracy. Best bet is one of the Daisys; both are capable of over 540/600 and a modified 747 has been used by your national Olympic team in the past.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Low velocity?

Derek, I understand the Daisy 747 gets only 360 fps (as opposed to a nominal 410 for the Beeman P3). Though I don't suppose that's a probelm, as long as you keep it to 10 meters and don't use it for anything at longer ranges.

Jim

Jim, don't worry about velocity or power if, as you say in your first post, you are interested in 10m target. Accuracy and consistency are what counts and both the Daisys have both.

If you also want to do serious can bashing in the back yard, get a Daisy and a 1377! Total cost is still minimal and backyard fun ensured for a lifetime (1377). By the time you can get the max. out of a Daisy, you'll have enough knowledge and experience (and also sampled other people's "real" target guns) to be able to choose price range and model for your definitive purchase.

Check out Pilkguns website; real experts do not consider the 747 a toy, even if club shooters look upon it that way.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I don't shoot matches yet as i'm just a newbie and got the chinese built 2004e as a starter gun. Tonight I shot 42/50, 43/50 and 39/50, very happy with that!

When my Aeron Chameleon arrives I hope I can start at the same level with it!

Matt
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Go for it!

Sounds as though you are ready for matches, Matt, with those scores!

Jim

Thumbs up Blog "Airgun Target Shooters"

I have just started a Blog link below, please feel free to add to the blog on line, I've included some pics of my Pistols, please feel free to add some of yours.

http://targetshooters.blogspot.com/