Thread: is my FAC correct

is my FAC correct

Just got my 1ST FAC through and one entry was for a BP revolver (possibly a Remington new army) but on my FAC the type is down as a 'Muzzle loading revolver' is this correct?
    Any idea's as to whats best (new or 2nd hand) in .36 for a beginner?

Yes considering the wording the Firearms Amendment acts 1997 give to the home office guidance. Thats why home office clubs are either approved "rifle" or "muzzle loading pistol", obviously a club can be both of these.

There is no such thing as an "approved pistol club" anymore; though clubs can within reason call themselves whatever they want. I doubt any club existing since before 1997 is going to drop "pistol" out of their name just to please the bean-counters in Whitehall.

Ahem soapboxed there a bit.

mr_colt.

Yep its right. You dont have to use BP its still muzzle loaded because you stuff the cylinder from the front.

Whats best. Does your ticket specify caliber they normally do. Look for a full frame for rigidity and avoid a brass frame. That leaves Remmington, Rogers and Spencer or Ruger old army. Depends what you can afford. Ruger should be best but some competitions/clubs dont allow them. Remmi second R/s third.

Colts are open framed so not favourite though some like the notalgia of them. They can go loose and sloppy in use.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

thanks guys, my FAC is for a .36, will probably go for a s/steel Ruger. Now all i've got to do is find one, possibly new!!!

Rugers only come in .45 I believe (though some people will list them as .44). Mine takes a .457 ball to fit properly.

I'd say a Remmi would be your best choice then (this from someone who has a Rogers and Spencer).
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by mr_colt View Post
    Yes considering the wording the Firearms Amendment acts 1997 give to the home office guidance. Thats why home office clubs are either approved "rifle" or "muzzle loading pistol", obviously a club can be both of these.

There is no such thing as an "approved pistol club" anymore; though clubs can within reason call themselves whatever they want. I doubt any club existing since before 1997 is going to drop "pistol" out of their name just to please the bean-counters in Whitehall.

Ahem soapboxed there a bit.

mr_colt.

That is completly correct.
    Our club is rifle and pistol club...... but we only now do air pistols sadly.

oh well.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Wild Bill's favorite

Quote Originally Posted by mobimick View Post
    my FAC is for a .36,
    .36 Navy Colt was Wild Bill Hickock's weapon of choice. Or more correctly, a pair of them were.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

What type of pistol / make

Hi Mobimick. welcome to the world of BP. I've had several pistols in .36 .45 & .44. The calibre is not that important. The type, and fit to hand is, Then you take into account the little niggles that occur, like caps falling off nipples on firing, brass getting down into the hammer mechanism and fowling it up, ease of cleaning, etc etc. only when you have experienced all these things do you make a calculated decision on which pistol is favourite, and for me it has to be ----; The remington new model army in stainless steel with
    target sights. Easy to disassemble / reassemble. load up, accurate, and simple to clean. and maintain. and availlable in .36 & .44 cal. for when you wan't the matching pair !!!!