Thread: A fine day out

A fine day out

Started with 18 ounces of shot over 3+ ounces of black as a sort of proofing shot, then dropped it to 9 over 2. It technically failed proof, bit of a blow hole opened up near the touch, so we stood well back. Movie featuring a mass fly past of geese

http://www.robinhewitt.net/cannon.wmv

Boys toys eh

You truly are quite mad Robin

On another note where can one purchase a few yards of cannon fuse, is it restricted?

Cheers

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Believe it or not...

http://www.cannonfuse.com/

I found a friendly American, sent dollar bills, got him to buy it and send it Global Express Mail with an accurate customs declaration... Visco fuse

After the first lot slipped through nil problemo I got him to send a lifetime's supply. It's Chinese firework fuse, you did want it for making fireworks I presume

That looks like great fun Robin!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to fire a beast like that?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Cheapest powder I could find was £15/kg.

I used lead shot, but it was only for recoil, anything would do.

Serious fun!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

I presume you can hold that on a shotgun cert as long as the bore is no more than 1.99"?

Looks fun!

I imported it as curiosity or ornament. As it turns out it has a flaw in the breech, don't think I want to shoot it much so I probably won't put it on certificate.

Of course any chum with a shotgun certificate can borrow it for up to 72 hours and do with it as they please. I could theoretically lend it to myself, but not very often

Talking

Think I'll get one for my Mirror dinghy.... Very entertaining that clip

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    Think I'll get one for my Mirror dinghy.... Very entertaining that clip
    He has plenty left, don't know if any are shotgun size though

http://www.kwsantiques.de/english/eframe.html

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Too much of a load

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Started with 18 ounces of shot over 3+ ounces of black as a sort of proofing shot, then dropped it to 9 over 2. It technically failed proof, bit of a blow hole opened up near the touch, so we stood well back. Movie featuring a mass fly past of geese

http://www.robinhewitt.net/cannon.wmv

Boys toys eh
    Robin, you WAY overloaded that little tube: dangerously so! I shoot in a Battle of New Orleans (1815) cannon crew. We don't fire any projectiles. We use only 8 ounces - on occasion, 12 ounces - of powder: this in a full-scale six pounder cannon.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

This was a boys day out on private land next door to a military firing range. With coarse powder, a generous touch hole and paper towel wadding velocity was way below shotgun levels, don't reckon we got much pressure up.

Please post pics of your guns. I have a brace of 6 pounder sea service Falkirks that I'm fixing up Piccy

best regards

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Hi Jim

This was a boys day out on private land next door to a military firing range. With coarse powder, a generous touch hole and paper towel wadding velocity was way below shotgun levels, don't reckon we got much pressure up.

Please post pics of your guns. I have a brace of 6 pounder sea service Falkirks that I'm fixing up Piccy

best regards

Robin
    Any chance of an artillary section, as Robin advances in years we may need it
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Any chance of an artillary section, as Robin advances in years we may need it
    I'm all for an artillery section!

My wife's the digital camera picture posting whiz (I'd be truly lost without my dear wife). She's also the Captain of our cannon crew! I'll look into posting some pics.

You might also want to check out our Baratarians yahoo group. We reenact the Battle of New Orleans every January. I also have a little cannon on a naval carriage like that one you were abusing. Got it from Jefferson Armory. Never had the touchhole drilled out, though: I just use it for demos: give the tourists some hands-on introduction to cannon drill, after they've seen the big one go BOOMM!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone