Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jkata View Post
    I thought I was saving paper and being very generous leaving the other one for someone else to use it
    we both think alike as i did exactly the same the other week

gunnut Guest

pyrodex

Beware pyrodex,I found it to be a lot greasier and more corrosive than the real thing(bp)A member of my club shoots 777,and highly recomends it.I personally go woth black powder because my black powder guns are for black powder,its a taste thing.Enjoy your shoot either way,and welcome to the world of smokers and soot!lol

Pyro is the evilist of concoctions. It is a modified BP rather than a subtitute. It was developed to be "non explosive" to get around postal (DOT)and storage (NFPA) restrictions in th US.

777 is a modern substitute it contains no sulfur so residues are very much kinder of your gun. Ruducing the long term damage to my piece is more important to me than authenticity. It still smokes and goes bang so it looks right, I just dont go home smelling like rotten eggs.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

The sulphur is there to reduce the flashpoint to level where a flinter can set it off. That's why Pyrodex doesn't work so good in the pan