Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bp gun licence q.

bp gun licence q.

Quick question, I've got a sgc, and have recently been looking at getting an obsolete caliber gun as a collectible, but with an eventual aim to probably get it put on firearms certificate and shoot it.

How does the law stand on BP guns? Are these classed as obsolete? I.E. can I have one off ticket as long as I don't shoot it?

Original BP guns are normally considered obselete, reproductions are considered Section 1

HTH

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

All muzzle loaders made before 1939 are classed as obsolete calibre along with pre-1939 pieces chambered for cartridges on the police obsolete calibre list. A handy loophole in the law that lets people like me buy 'out of proof' antiques then register and shoot them.

You could buy an unsullied Smith and Wesson in .44 Russian and keep it as curiosity or ornament. Very pretty but you'd never get it put on a FAC and live cartridges would be a big no no

Ok well looking at that then probably a muzzle loading rifle of some kind, I've always had an interest in musket type weapons, what can I buy for a reasonable price (under about £400) that will be shootable eventually but is ok to buy now, don't mind something out of proof that I have to resubmit, and don't mind doing little jobs on it, but want something essentially sound.

Also to take the pistol in question, S+W .44 again smalish budget of about £300what sort of things are available, don't mind BP revolver, or obsolete caliber cartridge guns. A semi auto would be lovely but I suspect very few are on the obsolete list and those that are are probably expensive, what about derringers/pepperpots? Or failing that what revolvers for smallish budgets?

What do you term a BP gun? Cartridge would have to be sec 7 but m/l revolvers are sec 1.

You can have a smooth bore m/l shotgun on your SGC even firing single shot.

If you want an obsolete calibre you can have it as an antique if you want to fire it you would have to have it under sec 7.3. It would have to be stored at a club passed to cater for them such as Bisley and I dont think there are allowed to be any non sec 7.3 licensed persons at the range while you shoot.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

To me BP is a gun that doesn't use a cartridge that you just load and dispose of once fired, probably totally incorrect but that's the sort of thing I'm after.

Not really sure I'm bothered about a muzzle loading shotgun, to be honest I think I could get pretty bored pretty quick, but something capable of firing solid shot, thats muzzle loaded, uses black powder and preferably a ball.

Of course it might just sit in the gun cabinet as an antique and never get put on ticket or fired! but it would be lovely to have.

What kind of budget and where do I look?

Ahh, some older cartridges took black powder so they are what we might assume as a BP gun. Some even used brass cases.

A m/l smoth bore shotgun can be used with single ball and be held on SGC.

Most m/l use BP though some (few) are rated for nitro powders.

If you are looking at original guns they will probably be of an age to be considered antique so no ticket required if they are to be kept for display.

Pin fire revolvers can be found quite cheap but if you start looking at early cartridge guns the prices can go up into the thousands.

Nice guns for display are m/l flint or caplock. I would suggest you get hold of a copy of the obsolete caliber list and do google searchs using those on the list. Local auctions can be good for finding bargins but it helps to build a bit of knowledge of what you may be looking at.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

well done a bit of hunting, and there are a few that look tempting.

Martini henry rifles fit in to my budget nicely, plus you can still get brasses, so short term I can have some empty cases to cycle through, and in the future possibly reload them and have the gun on ticket.

Other options are .38 rimfire revolvers although would never be able to shoot it, haven't found any muzzle loaders yet though!

Oliver

Is this correct?

A m/l smoth bore shotgun can be used with single ball and be held on SGC

I understood that single projectiles or loads of less than 5 projectiles required a FAC

Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    A m/l smoth bore shotgun can be used with single ball and be held on SGC

I understood that single projectiles or loads of less than 5 projectiles required a FAC
    That only applys for self contained cartrigdes

You can load ball in a shotgun on a home office approved range so long as they are rated up to that calibre/MKE.

Most Bisley ranges have no limit if you are using BP

Quote Originally Posted by wildoliver View Post
    To me BP is a gun that doesn't use a cartridge that you just load and dispose of once fired, probably totally incorrect but that's the sort of thing I'm after.

Not really sure I'm bothered about a muzzle loading shotgun, to be honest I think I could get pretty bored pretty quick, but something capable of firing solid shot, thats muzzle loaded, uses black powder and preferably a ball.

Of course it might just sit in the gun cabinet as an antique and never get put on ticket or fired! but it would be lovely to have.

What kind of budget and where do I look?

Here perhaps ???

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228738

Is this an an opportunity to unload some junk?

You can have this "quality" firearm for what I paid, 75 squid plus carriage

http://www.robinhewitt.net/hughlex.jpg

No licence required

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Is this an an opportunity to unload some junk?

You can have this "quality" firearm for what I paid, 75 squid plus carriage

http://www.robinhewitt.net/hughlex.jpg

No licence required
    Lol what is it?

Looks like a sporting rifle with those sights on it but the patchbox makes it look military.

Shame the forend is not longer.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 08-11-2007 at 05:37 PM.