Thread: AETEC 4-14 X 44SF---(Made in China)

AETEC 4-14 X 44SF---(Made in China)

Here we have it. After alot of time and effort trying to decide what to replace my MTC Viper with, i decided it was going to be an Aetec 4-14 X 44SF. I like parralax adjustment, and i've always liked Simmons, so this was the one for me. I have a WTC 3.5-10X50 already which i am dead chuffed with, so i thought i'd try the new Aetec. I admit, when i requested some reviews and opinions from you lot, it was a mixed bag, with the older Phillipine/pre Meade made models being the preferable, even if second hand over a new Chinese made versions. Thanks guys, you were not wrong! My trouble is i always need to learn the hard way. I tried Uttings at first but they were not stocking them yet, so i went on the net, found a place in the states that would ship, and got myself myself a bargain

This is only going to be a brief first installment as i havent even got it mounted yet. But i couldn't wait. It arrived today, and i can't stress how gutted i was when i got it out. Here are the first points, good and bad.

First off, it looked like it was kicked all the way from America to my front door. Not the box or the packaging as this was un damaged, but the scope body has areas of very poorly finished matte black. The side focus knob, is lose, damaged with little nicks and gouges and more matte finish missing and as soon as i turned it, the rubber grip just slipped off!!! Impressions of the optics look ok, will update these when its mounted and used for a bit. (thats if i actually mount it). The nice gold labelling on the occular bell are all wonky, the red ring under the elevation turret cap is off centre to the cap. The threads on the male and female end of the sun shade are damaged, and the rubber collar on the mag adjustment ring is just so cheap and nasty. In fact, that just about sums this scope up for me, cheap and nasty but with good optics.

Its dissapointing to see a Simmons scope made so badly, and to think i sold my MTC Viper for this makes its even harder to swallow.

If anyone knows anything about these new AETECS then please let me know. If i didn't know better i would say this one was a really bad counterfeit, except i purchased it from a reputable US store so i don't think it is a fake.

Will update, when i have something more. Hopefully something good.
    Air Arms S200 Beech-Simmons WTC 3.5-10 X 50
    Daystate X2 Walnut-Simmons Aetec

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back
    sorry to hear that mate,if i was you i would get it sent back,i know it will be a pain for you.but demand what you payed for,theyve most probly thought we will post this,over to england.the chances are he wont be botherd to send it back.if your stuck for a scope,i can borrow you a simmons

Nowhere near Stowmarket Suffolk thank god
    The new ones are not worthy of the Aetec name, the old ones are simply great the new ones are simply cheap and nasty. I have the same model as you and apart from the sunshade not fitting all else is fine.

It's fitted to my .22lr and I have used it with my cobra merlin nv and it worked well enough to shot rats to 60 yards so for now its staying on the rifle but for how long I cant say.

Good Chap

Quote Originally Posted by TARGETZERO View Post
    sorry to hear that mate,if i was you i would get it sent back,i know it will be a pain for you.but demand what you payed for,theyve most probly thought we will post this,over to england.the chances are he wont be botherd to send it back.if your stuck for a scope,i can borrow you a simmons
    Jolly nice of you to offer mate, i do have a spare or two though, i could stick my reflex on until i get something sorted.

Thanks again for the offer.

And have you ever used the 6.5-20 WTC?
    Last edited by Matthewjs77; 17-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back
    SORRY MATE i havent,give murphy on here a shout.he knows all things simmons

Return

OK, it's mounted now and i must admit the optics are really nice, but it's no good i'm just not happy with the build quality.

Maybe it was a return or reject that they tried tossing off to me hoping i wouldn't send it back. Regardless it's going back to the states in exchange for a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 Tactical.

Thanks again lads...

fooknmissed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewjs77 View Post
    Here we have it. After alot of time and effort trying to decide what to replace my MTC Viper with, i decided it was going to be an Aetec 4-14 X 44SF. I like parralax adjustment, and i've always liked Simmons, so this was the one for me. I have a WTC 3.5-10X50 already which i am dead chuffed with, so i thought i'd try the new Aetec. I admit, when i requested some reviews and opinions from you lot, it was a mixed bag, with the older Phillipine/pre Meade made models being the preferable, even if second hand over a new Chinese made versions. Thanks guys, you were not wrong! My trouble is i always need to learn the hard way. I tried Uttings at first but they were not stocking them yet, so i went on the net, found a place in the states that would ship, and got myself myself a bargain

This is only going to be a brief first installment as i havent even got it mounted yet. But i couldn't wait. It arrived today, and i can't stress how gutted i was when i got it out. Here are the first points, good and bad.

First off, it looked like it was kicked all the way from America to my front door. Not the box or the packaging as this was un damaged, but the scope body has areas of very poorly finished matte black. The side focus knob, is lose, damaged with little nicks and gouges and more matte finish missing and as soon as i turned it, the rubber grip just slipped off!!! Impressions of the optics look ok, will update these when its mounted and used for a bit. (thats if i actually mount it). The nice gold labelling on the occular bell are all wonky, the red ring under the elevation turret cap is off centre to the cap. The threads on the male and female end of the sun shade are damaged, and the rubber collar on the mag adjustment ring is just so cheap and nasty. In fact, that just about sums this scope up for me, cheap and nasty but with good optics.

Its dissapointing to see a Simmons scope made so badly, and to think i sold my MTC Viper for this makes its even harder to swallow.

If anyone knows anything about these new AETECS then please let me know. If i didn't know better i would say this one was a really bad counterfeit, except i purchased it from a reputable US store so i don't think it is a fake.

Will update, when i have something more. Hopefully something good.
    This is a pity as the old ones are cracking,sounds like they sent you a display model,though the build quality can't be excused.

I have an aetec pre chinese and i cannot fault it shame you had such a bad deal (which is more of the norm these days) good luck

Thumbs down

This is really disappointing. Given that Aetec scopes are so cheap on here anyway there is no point at all in buying this new rubbish.
    How to ruin a brand eh?
    I'd certainly send the scope back to the USA. A pain in the proverbials but you just have to do it.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

hi, i to have the same scope ,the optics are on par with the old aetec model ,but the build is not so good the rubber dial covers are a bit naff ,which i have taken off ,apart from that its a cracking scope much lighter than my old aetec ,and as an nv add on these are very good ,so its not all bad news .

Kenman Guest
    I bought this model from the US. It arrived in perfect condition & for the price both the build & especially the optics are very good. I use it on my HW100 where the 12oz the 'scope weighs balances well with this cannon.

As others say, send it back to where you bought it & ask for your money back

ATB

Ken

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewjs77 View Post
    Jolly nice of you to offer mate, i do have a spare or two though, i could stick my reflex on until i get something sorted.

Thanks again for the offer.

And have you ever used the 6.5-20 WTC?
    The 6.5-20x50 WTC are excellent and give S & B/Leupold etc a run for much less money. Personally I prefer the 6.5-20x44MAG mildot (or milblob as the dots are so big) and use them when I want big magnification.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I just mounted one I picked up on the bay last week. It replaces an old Simmons Deerfield 4-12x40 scope I was using, and the improvement in the optics is stunning. Just as good optically as my 44Mag, without needing the high mounts etc. Build quality is not quite as good as the 44Mag, but I'm not complaining.

One more thing, it actually weighs in at ~15oz, not the 12oz that appears on some of the specs for them.
    HW95K .22 + Simmons 44mag 6.5-20x44 + Logun Silencer;
    HW95K .177 + Simmons Aetec 4-14x44 + Logun Silencer;