Here we have it. After alot of time and effort trying to decide what to replace my MTC Viper with, i decided it was going to be an Aetec 4-14 X 44SF. I like parralax adjustment, and i've always liked Simmons, so this was the one for me. I have a WTC 3.5-10X50 already which i am dead chuffed with, so i thought i'd try the new Aetec. I admit, when i requested some reviews and opinions from you lot, it was a mixed bag, with the older Phillipine/pre Meade made models being the preferable, even if second hand over a new Chinese made versions. Thanks guys, you were not wrong! My trouble is i always need to learn the hard way. I tried Uttings at first but they were not stocking them yet, so i went on the net, found a place in the states that would ship, and got myself myself a bargain

This is only going to be a brief first installment as i havent even got it mounted yet. But i couldn't wait. It arrived today, and i can't stress how gutted i was when i got it out. Here are the first points, good and bad.

First off, it looked like it was kicked all the way from America to my front door. Not the box or the packaging as this was un damaged, but the scope body has areas of very poorly finished matte black. The side focus knob, is lose, damaged with little nicks and gouges and more matte finish missing and as soon as i turned it, the rubber grip just slipped off!!! Impressions of the optics look ok, will update these when its mounted and used for a bit. (thats if i actually mount it). The nice gold labelling on the occular bell are all wonky, the red ring under the elevation turret cap is off centre to the cap. The threads on the male and female end of the sun shade are damaged, and the rubber collar on the mag adjustment ring is just so cheap and nasty. In fact, that just about sums this scope up for me, cheap and nasty but with good optics.

Its dissapointing to see a Simmons scope made so badly, and to think i sold my MTC Viper for this makes its even harder to swallow.

If anyone knows anything about these new AETECS then please let me know. If i didn't know better i would say this one was a really bad counterfeit, except i purchased it from a reputable US store so i don't think it is a fake.

Will update, when i have something more. Hopefully something good.