Thread: We need a section for artillery!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

We need a section for artillery!

How about it, mates? There seems to be an interest in muzzleloading cannon on this forum.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Planning on getting into this after emigration, but where would we practise it over here? I suppose there's always MoD ranges, but will they allow eccentrics with cannon on their battle areas?
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

The reenactors

The reenactors - as in the English Civil War reenactors - shoot cannon. But I don't reckon they ever shoot projectiles FROM the cannon!

Only group I ever heard of that does that is the (US) North South Skirmish Association. Yes, they actually have target shooting competitions, firing cannon balls!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

In addition Antique and Muzzle Loading Rifles/Muskets, Pistols and firearms of larger calibre whose ammunition is initiated by a black powder, or equivalent, charge may be discharged on all the ranges except: 300m, zero, air gun
    ranges and bays A and D of Cheylesmore.

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/r...me_shooter.pdf

Small cannon fun movie

http://www.robinhewitt.net/home2.jpg

cannon

this thread has raised a question thats been in the back of my mind for a while,if you had a cannon in your garden as an ornament, is there any legal req, cheers

Not if made before 1939

And if after....

But a post-1939 reproduction of a pre-1939 BP cannon would require an SGC, correct?

Jim

Correct, shotgun certificate is good for a smooth bore up to 2" bore so long as there is 24" or more between muzzle and point of ignition.

Doubt they'd let you keep it in the garden though.

I know it's freaky but hey, I didn't get a say in this legislation

cannon

there both, 1800s they are original, one is corroded,the story is, they app used to be part of a old gun emplacement,then fog warning battery, still on mountings, (heavy steel), quite a nice garden feature! there are a lot kicking about in various places where i live

1800's is so pre-1939 you have nothing to worry about. Keep them in the garden as "curiosity or ornament" and if you want to fire them do it very infrequently, like every other year. No ball allowed unless you are on a Home Office approved range. OTOH, if they are shotgun size you can lend them to anyone with a SGC for up to 72 hours without paperwork and they can shoot them with blank or bird shot anywhere safe with the land owner's permission. If you have a SGC you can lend them to yourself. A pound of damp grass clippings gives the same recoil as a pound of iron and you don't have to worry about what is over the horizon

Edit: Pics please
    Last edited by robinghewitt; 02-12-2007 at 10:32 AM.

cannon

i cant show any pics yet, but i will, they are half way down a 900ft cliff at my holiday home, it took me 2 days to get to them when i first cleared the path, thats why they are still there,they are over8ft long, i love them.

Not recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    1800's is so pre-1939 you have nothing to worry about. Keep them in the garden as "curiosity or ornament" and if you want to fire them do it very infrequently, like every other year. No ball allowed unless you are on a Home Office approved range. OTOH, if they are shotgun size you can lend them to anyone with a SGC for up to 72 hours without paperwork and they can shoot them with blank or bird shot anywhere safe with the land owner's permission. If you have a SGC you can lend them to yourself. A pound of damp grass clippings gives the same recoil as a pound of iron and you don't have to worry about what is over the horizon

Edit: Pics please
    I don't recommend those old pieces ever be fired! Every time you fire a gun you put a little more strain, do a little more wear...I just 5 minutes ago read of a mishap with a 200 year old cannon in India that left 2 people dead and several others injured.

Modern repros are for firing: the old ones are just for looking at.

Jim