Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning BP (777)

Cleaning BP (777)

So took my new Ruger Old Army out for its first session on Tuesday (7 1/2 Stainless) - 22 Grains of Triple 7, Wonder Wad and .457 Lead Ball = So much fun. My first experience shooting anything but .22 and I have to say I am glad I made the purchase.

However what I did'nt expect was a serious cleaning project when I got home - 2 hours to get the thing clean. Main problems were the nipples and rear end of the cylinder, I found it very difficult to get clean - felt like the BP (Substitute) was baked on

Was using WD40 and also Tried a Nitro Solvent (think the WD40 worked better)

Suggestions please on how to speed up the cleaning process - Comments and opinions on the following
    1. Would spraying the gun with WD40 before I leave the club make cleaning easier when I get home
    2. Has anyone tried using Window Cleaner to clean Triple 7
    3. Would soaking in hot soapy (Fairy Liquid) water get the Cylinder and Nipples Clean
    4. I am just gonna have to learn not to shoot my Old Army on a school night because it takes ages to get the thing clean.

Your help appreciated cos I need to shoot the beast really soon, I think I could be addicted to BP

Try removing the cylinder and then dumping it in boiling water for a bit.

I have the same issue with school nights, I tend to shoot monday evenings and get home at around 9.30, put my daughter to bed before starting to clean my gun.

I remove the cylinder, nipples, grips and put the whole lot in bowel of boiling soapy water for 15 minutes and put the oven on.

First of all I clean the frame and clean the barrel with a phosphour bronze brush, followed by 4 x 2 patches.

I then use a various tooth brushes to clean the cylinder and nipple area.

I use wire wool wrapped around a plastic tube to clean out the chambers.

I clean each nipple by hand with wire wool and use a large pin to make sure that the holes in the nipples are clean.

Rinse everything off with more hot water and put them in the oven in a roasting dish to dry off for 10 mins and then allow it to cool.

It usually takes me about 40 mins and everyone still thinks my gun looks like new.

I use 777 in my ROA and just use boiling water and a bit of washing up liquid to clean mine - it is the stainless version which may be a bit easier than the blued version.

Once a month or so I also put the cylinder and nipples through a few cycles of an ultra-sonic cleaner. This REALLY gets off the dirt including stuff I could never scrub off.

Thanks to all - However further clarification please

Yep I have the Stainless version

Remove grips - OK, are you then sticking the entire pistol into boiling water, such that water is getting into the trigger mech ? I was worried about getting water into the trigger mech incase anything in there rusts.

I assume once clean, you then re-lube

Ultra Sonic cleaner - fantastic idea - shall go hunting one

Apologies if my questions seem dumb, but I want to get this right and I am new to the BP game

Its not the 777 on the nipples, its gonna be percussion cap residue, nasty stuff. I use a toothbrush and detergent in hot water to scrub at it but I'm never fully happy. Every third session I take the nipples out and use a bronze brush on them.

Try to get hold of some of that copper containing grease they use in car brake kits. Its very high temp stuff so is perfect for nipple threads.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I take the nipples off my pistols and use a pipe cleaner after each use, works great.

Cut pipe cleaners down should get about four cleaners out of the one.

After every use I clean the nipples soak em in very hot water with washing up liquid added.

Also get some cotton woolbuds essential for getting into difficult areas.

You should be able to get your cleaning regime timescale down to about 50 mins, you'll develop your own technique after a time.

I keep a record of how many rounds I've fired for each pistol, and do a complete clean/lube strip down after 250 rds.

Remove grips - OK, are you then sticking the entire pistol into boiling water, such that water is getting into the trigger mech ? I was worried about getting water into the trigger mech incase anything in there rusts.

I assume once clean, you then re-lube

Ultra Sonic cleaner - fantastic idea - shall go hunting one
    Yes I stick the entire pistol into boiling water. You will find that percussion cap residue will have got into the trigger mechanism, I use a .22 phosphour bronze brush to clean through where the hammer strikes. Your gun is stainless and if rinsed and dried properly shouldnt rust. I then tend to just give it a spray over with wd40 before I put it away.

I have considered an ultra sonic cleaner, but just havent found the need yet.

Excellent advice - Hot soapy water and baking in the oven it is then - next Friday night

Wife will think I have gone insane putting the pistol in the over

You can also use a hairdryer....

Excellent advice - Hot soapy water and baking in the oven it is then - next Friday night

Wife will think I have gone insane putting the pistol in the oven
    Just make sure that you allow the parts to cool down. I would also get yourself a bowel that you use just for cleaning your pistol and keeping any other cleaning kit in.

It will keep your kitchen sink clean and your wife happy, a bottle of wine might also help?

In the Nov '07 issue of Gun Mart; They advocate the use of a dishwasher to speed things up regarding the Uberti stainless job they were testing.

Would you use normal caustic soda though or just put it through with water only?

mr_colt.

Looks like there's already a lot of advice on here, but I'll toss in my two penneth. I haven't yet tried 777, using mostly BP, so hopefully it should be quicker for you. This is how I do mine (1858 Remington), and I've cut it down to just an hour since getting an ultrasonic cleaner.

1. Spray down with WD40 before leaving the range. Especially barrel and chambers/nipples.

2. Drop the whole thing completely to bits, set the wood grips to one side and put the frame and barrel in boiling water with some screenwash. Leave for a bit.

3. Everything else: cylinder, nipples (which I remove each time) and all screws and moving parts, into the ultrasound. Warm water and lots of screenwash. Buzz it several times to get the worst off.

4. Brush and clean barrel and frame, spray with WD40. Same with all the small bits. Clean individual nipples with a .22 brush if problematic.

5. WD40 each bit & leave on paper ready to reassemble.

There is no magic cure with cylinder dirt. No two ways, it's the worst bit, but the ultrasound really helps loosen the grime.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

There's something to be said for shooting a single shot pistol

Seriously though if you have a dishwasher take the grips off and put it in there it will do a far better job than you will.

A good hairdryer will soon have it too hot to hold,relube till next time!

Gentleman. I don’t own any black powder pistols but I have been fascinated by this thread.
    After reading about Ultra sound, dishwashers, hair dryers, cotton buds, WD40 and various other chemicals I can’t help but wonder how the military and civilians of the 1800s managed to clean and maintain their weapons. And few were doing it just as a hobby.
    I have purchased a black powder Enfield rifle and carbine reproduction (that I have yet to shoot) but speaking as one for whom the novelty of cleaning guns has long worn off your comments are no doubt accurate but a bit daunting.
    Barry