Thread: Cleaning BP (777)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excellent advice - Hot soapy water and baking in the oven it is then - next Friday night

Wife will think I have gone insane putting the pistol in the oven
    Just make sure that you allow the parts to cool down. I would also get yourself a bowel that you use just for cleaning your pistol and keeping any other cleaning kit in.

It will keep your kitchen sink clean and your wife happy, a bottle of wine might also help?

In the Nov '07 issue of Gun Mart; They advocate the use of a dishwasher to speed things up regarding the Uberti stainless job they were testing.

Would you use normal caustic soda though or just put it through with water only?

mr_colt.

Looks like there's already a lot of advice on here, but I'll toss in my two penneth. I haven't yet tried 777, using mostly BP, so hopefully it should be quicker for you. This is how I do mine (1858 Remington), and I've cut it down to just an hour since getting an ultrasonic cleaner.

1. Spray down with WD40 before leaving the range. Especially barrel and chambers/nipples.

2. Drop the whole thing completely to bits, set the wood grips to one side and put the frame and barrel in boiling water with some screenwash. Leave for a bit.

3. Everything else: cylinder, nipples (which I remove each time) and all screws and moving parts, into the ultrasound. Warm water and lots of screenwash. Buzz it several times to get the worst off.

4. Brush and clean barrel and frame, spray with WD40. Same with all the small bits. Clean individual nipples with a .22 brush if problematic.

5. WD40 each bit & leave on paper ready to reassemble.

There is no magic cure with cylinder dirt. No two ways, it's the worst bit, but the ultrasound really helps loosen the grime.
    Yes but apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the performance?

There's something to be said for shooting a single shot pistol

Seriously though if you have a dishwasher take the grips off and put it in there it will do a far better job than you will.

A good hairdryer will soon have it too hot to hold,relube till next time!

Gentleman. I don’t own any black powder pistols but I have been fascinated by this thread.
    After reading about Ultra sound, dishwashers, hair dryers, cotton buds, WD40 and various other chemicals I can’t help but wonder how the military and civilians of the 1800s managed to clean and maintain their weapons. And few were doing it just as a hobby.
    I have purchased a black powder Enfield rifle and carbine reproduction (that I have yet to shoot) but speaking as one for whom the novelty of cleaning guns has long worn off your comments are no doubt accurate but a bit daunting.
    Barry

Oh Joy !

I took the Ruger for a spin on Friday night and returned home to face the cleaning session. (I am using 777 and wads)

However this time I went for the bowl of bolling water and fairy liquid approach. Removed the grips, cylinder and nipples and dumped it all in the bowl.

WOW ! - talk about easy cleaning, the cap residue on the nipples wiped off as did the black gunk on the rear of the cylinder. Insides of the cylinder, pretty much cleaned themselves as did the barrel. The hammer also cleaned up very easily.

I dryed the Ruger and lubed with WD40 - Ready to rock for the next session

Thanks for everyones advice - who would have belived that old fashioned soap and water would be the route to easy cleaning

Yep,nylon bottle brush and teapot spout brush from the local pound shop work well for me. And a toothbrush on the nipples.

I dont like WD40 though,particularly on the cylinder. Its good for penetrating around the trigger and hammer but I find it affects caps more than oil. I always "cap off" before shooting but you can get "damp squids" after WD40. It seems to penetrate the cap quicker than you can let it off but plain oil does not.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Hoppes

I've always used boiling, soapy water in the shotty, although you have to wear gloves whilst doing it.
    Recently I've tried Hoppe's No.9 with good results.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I clean my Stainlees Ruger Old Army in the dishwasher.

Strip it down, and remove grips, place the small items in the cutlery tray, and the nipples in one of those net bags you put washing tablet in the washing machine.

Run the dishwasher on a full cycle, the pistol comes out spotless and dry, quick squirt of WD40, then reassemble, ready for use.