Thread: 200yards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    He is shooting an airams s410 extra, which is the fac version, up to 34ft lbs. Still very impressive though, but agree, cans more usser friendly than bottles.
    Air arms s410k .22 with Hawke varmint2 3-12x44 (the wifes)
    Theoben rapid 7 mk2 .22 mtc viper 4-16x50 irs with Rob Lane silencer ssh

200 yds my arse
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

I'm proud to say that I have shot a stone - roughly the size of a brick - at a lasered and witnessed range of 301 yards with an air rifle. The first couple of shots missed, but kicked up dust in the muddy field, so I could see how to adjust the aim. Once I'd worked out the aim I managed to hit it two or three times in a row before some close misses. The rifle was a regulated prototype, set to 60 fpe and firing Eley Magnums.

Lionel

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    I'm proud to say that I have shot a stone - roughly the size of a brick - at a lasered and witnessed range of 301 yards with an air rifle. The first couple of shots missed, but kicked up dust in the muddy field, so I could see how to adjust the aim. Once I'd worked out the aim I managed to hit it two or three times in a row before some close misses. The rifle was a regulated prototype, set to 60 fpe and firing Eley Magnums.

Lionel
    Yah boo we don't believe YOOOOOOO! Are you sure the witness didn't have a white stick and a labrador with him?
    Go on admit it! You were using a 17HMR bipod rested and in perfect weather!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

i belive you mate. if i talked about the ranges i shoot, people would be outraged jealous etc. also it gets me when people talk about long range shootin with HMR and CF'S and folks are like yeah thats fine thats ok but when someone asks for example whats your max range hmr they say 200m max but we all know what they can out too silly ranges and folks dont say anything like thats bull#### so whats the big deal with air rifles shooting at long distance's

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reptile69 View Post
    i belive you mate. if i talked about the ranges i shoot, people would be outraged jealous etc.
    Go on..make my day

grogblossom Guest
    used to shoot to 22000 yrds oh yeh that was a 4.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Go on..make my day
    if i told a smart arse like you, you would give up shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Yah boo we don't believe YOOOOOOO! Are you sure the witness didn't have a white stick and a labrador with him?
    Go on admit it! You were using a 17HMR bipod rested and in perfect weather!!
    I realise that you're pulling his leg Nick, but I KNOW Lionel is telling the truth as I've hit that same 300 yard stone too with that (Ian Collins' own) rifle shooting from his back garden across the adjacent field in Bedfordshire.
    Yes, it was like hurling mortars (or more precisely, 22LR subs), but it was surprisingly, no, amazingly accurate. I would not have thought it possible for an air rifle, albeit a rather extreme one, to perform like that had I not actually seen it for myself.

Incidentally, the previous poster is correct in his assertion that the speed of sound in air is only linked to temperature.
    IIRC, the equation to calculate is:

38.94*Root K = Speed of sound in Kts

Where K = temp in Kelvin.
    Last edited by Guesty; 05-06-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: For clarity

I am sure I read somewhere its to do with altitude and density, however that isnt my particular "thing" I prefer ballistics, and I dont shoot from mountains anyway
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

The discussion I am interested in is the one about a S410E shooting bottles at 200yds with no supersonic crack apparent, I just think it is closer than 200yds
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/