Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200yards

He is shooting an airams s410 extra, which is the fac version, up to 34ft lbs. Still very impressive though, but agree, cans more usser friendly than bottles.
    Air arms s410k .22 with Hawke varmint2 3-12x44 (the wifes)
    Theoben rapid 7 mk2 .22 mtc viper 4-16x50 irs with Rob Lane silencer ssh

200 yds my arse
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

I'm proud to say that I have shot a stone - roughly the size of a brick - at a lasered and witnessed range of 301 yards with an air rifle. The first couple of shots missed, but kicked up dust in the muddy field, so I could see how to adjust the aim. Once I'd worked out the aim I managed to hit it two or three times in a row before some close misses. The rifle was a regulated prototype, set to 60 fpe and firing Eley Magnums.

Lionel

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    I'm proud to say that I have shot a stone - roughly the size of a brick - at a lasered and witnessed range of 301 yards with an air rifle. The first couple of shots missed, but kicked up dust in the muddy field, so I could see how to adjust the aim. Once I'd worked out the aim I managed to hit it two or three times in a row before some close misses. The rifle was a regulated prototype, set to 60 fpe and firing Eley Magnums.

Lionel
    Yah boo we don't believe YOOOOOOO! Are you sure the witness didn't have a white stick and a labrador with him?
    Go on admit it! You were using a 17HMR bipod rested and in perfect weather!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

i belive you mate. if i talked about the ranges i shoot, people would be outraged jealous etc. also it gets me when people talk about long range shootin with HMR and CF'S and folks are like yeah thats fine thats ok but when someone asks for example whats your max range hmr they say 200m max but we all know what they can out too silly ranges and folks dont say anything like thats bull#### so whats the big deal with air rifles shooting at long distance's

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reptile69 View Post
    i belive you mate. if i talked about the ranges i shoot, people would be outraged jealous etc.
    Go on..make my day

grogblossom Guest
    used to shoot to 22000 yrds oh yeh that was a 4.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Go on..make my day
    if i told a smart arse like you, you would give up shooting

Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    well well in my quest to see what else people are doing with airguns i ran across this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5md7...elated&search=

quite some good shooting. time of flight is long so its credible.
    That is a lot of BULL.....at 200 meters a 16 grain pellet has no chance of breaking glass bottles and i am not even saying anything about accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by AKSS View Post
    That is a lot of BULL.....at 200 meters a 16 grain pellet has no chance of breaking glass bottles and i am not even saying anything about accuracy
    A sub .177 12FPE air rifle doing 790FPS will break a glass bottle at 100yds.

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reptile69 View Post
    if i told a smart arse like you, you would give up shooting
    He he

Everybody can talk the talk...

Talks cheap but bull#### costs
    Here's the deal.
    You make your claim
    I call you on it
    We have a bet - you prove it in front of witnesses and I pay you.
    So.. make your play or just carry on playing with yourself. Put up or shut up.

oops
    Sorry bud. I didn't realise you are a harmless fantasist - off to live in USA, conviction for assault, owner of several firearms. Dream on mate. Dream on
    Last edited by Gary C; 01-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.

I have done some filming similar to that but not using air rifles, I will bet that isnt 200yds, it will look like it through a camera being zoomed in and out but a 410E pellet wouldnt get to 200yds in that short a time no way

I would say thats 100yds and once he had looked at his video he realised it could look 200yds, the time from ping to plop is way too quick to be 200yds and the amount of dust kicked up also shows its

I would hazard a guess that the projectile would have to leave muzzle in excess of 1500fps if that was 200yds and theres no supersonic crack

Now 34ftlb from a S410E and a JSB Exact would be about 970fps which would be just about right for 100yds and wouldn have a SS crack

Its BS
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I have done some filming similar to that but not using air rifles, I will bet that isnt 200yds, it will look like it through a camera being zoomed in and out but a 410E pellet wouldnt get to 200yds in that short a time no way

I would say thats 100yds and once he had looked at his video he realised it could look 200yds, the time from ping to plop is way too quick to be 200yds and the amount of dust kicked up also shows its

I would hazard a guess that the projectile would have to leave muzzle in excess of 1500fps if that was 200yds and theres no supersonic crack

Now 34ftlb from a S410E and a JSB Exact would be about 970fps which would be just about right for 100yds and wouldn have a SS crack

Its BS
    speed of sound is 1153feet per second bud thats why rimfire fires at 1050fps to be below speed of sound

the thing that worries me with these feats is that they don't usually give data, no drop figures in MOA Mils or anything, the scopes on the rifles are not adequate for that sort of work and no one speaks of WIND DRIFT

even if they turn down the magnification to get a wider view to hold off, then you can maybe hit a door but not bottles. the groups are already big enough at that distance so you need a fine aiming point.

a 2 mile/hour wind full value at 170meters is already enough to put me off the 12" plate and a 2mile/hour wind is nothing, its that wind that you barely feel on the hair of your ears. At 4mph the wind starts creating that bubbling sounds in your ear which disturbs you a little.

the nice thing about long range shooting is to put the pellet there with 1-3 shots. more than that and you should be doing something else. I expect anyone serious on his long range to have the elevation correct from the 1st shot and be slightly off for wind assuming the wind is blowing up to 6mph. the ones that empty a mag just to get there are a long way off.

According to my Ballistics program the flight time should be around 1.5 seconds, using BC 0.020 and muzzle velocity 280 mps (919fps). He would have to have a holdover of 20ft and the pellet would have 2.2ft-lbs when hitting the bottle.

And by the way speed of sound is 343mps(1129fps)

Im getting realy curious if it can be done though. 200m…
    Doing the same calculation on a barracuda cal .25 at 1050 fps one would need a 10ft hold over and the pellet would hit with 12ft-lbs. Flight time would be 1 second and the pellet would travel 4.5ft over the sight line at its highest point.

I will have to test this
    Career Infinity .25 - Leapers 3-12X44
    HW45 .177
    FX Verminator .22