Thread: 80 Yards, First attempt.

80 Yards, First attempt.

Equipment: Daystate Mk3 RT, .177, Airstream Silencer.
    Swift 8-32x50 set at 32x
    Daystate FT 4.52's Cleaned/sorted/Weighed and lubed.
    Front and rear bags.
    Conditions: As good as it gets, 5PM, just before the fog started to form.
    Range: A measured 80 yrds.

Firstly fired 10 shots to get on target. From my usual 40 yrd zero I needed
    +60 clicks (1/4 MOA) and then the POI was coincident with the second Mildot down when using x32 Mag.
    Shot two 5 shot groups. First measured 1.01 inch CC, which I was very happy with and the second was .79 inch, which I was amazed at frankly!
    Tried the same with my AA410 and best was 1.4 inch, but only using x12 mag didn't help. I did get several shots dropping very low (approx 6 inches) and don't know if this was down to pellet or gun, having not weighed those used in the AA.
    Will extend the range to 100 yrds and report back when time and weather allow. I may have to use reduced mag as I've run out of adjustment on my scope and don't really want to start shimming the mounts etc.
    Besides all the technical aspects this was good fun, which is what it's about ultimately, and hitting a Knock-down at this range was satisfying. The only problem being the 30 yard walk each time to get to the start of the reset cord. Easily remedied I know.
    Happy shooting all.

Nice shooting it would be great if you could add some photos of the groups if youve got time,think i might give this a go myself at some point

Not got a digital camera! Tried with my mobile but it's pretty old and the quality was so poor as to make them meaningless really.
    Just been shooting a knockdown at this range, now having worked out the required elevation adjustments. The slightest breeze makes large windage adjustments necessary and it becomes a bit of a lottery for me. Still fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Equipment: Daystate Mk3 RT, .177, Airstream Silencer.
    Swift 8-32x50 set at 32x
    Daystate FT 4.52's Cleaned/sorted/Weighed and lubed.
    Front and rear bags.
    Conditions: As good as it gets, 5PM, just before the fog started to form.
    Range: A measured 80 yrds.

Firstly fired 10 shots to get on target. From my usual 40 yrd zero I needed
    +60 clicks (1/4 MOA) and then the POI was coincident with the second Mildot down when using x32 Mag.
    Shot two 5 shot groups. First measured 1.01 inch CC, which I was very happy with and the second was .79 inch, which I was amazed at frankly!
    Tried the same with my AA410 and best was 1.4 inch, but only using x12 mag didn't help. I did get several shots dropping very low (approx 6 inches) and don't know if this was down to pellet or gun, having not weighed those used in the AA.
    Will extend the range to 100 yrds and report back when time and weather allow. I may have to use reduced mag as I've run out of adjustment on my scope and don't really want to start shimming the mounts etc.
    Besides all the technical aspects this was good fun, which is what it's about ultimately, and hitting a Knock-down at this range was satisfying. The only problem being the 30 yard walk each time to get to the start of the reset cord. Easily remedied I know.
    Happy shooting all.
    Now try it with just yourself and the gun, no supports.
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot

The smallest of my groups was shot using only a front bag for support. I was trying to see what the equipment was capable of under ideal conditions, and so it seems reasonable to use a front support to me.
    Using a sitting position I'd be happy to get 3inch groups at this range, and as for standing, well I don't know if they make targets big enough.

You might be able to tighten up your groups even further by using a bipod,i can shoot much more accuratly using a bipod than i can using a bag as support but i havnt tried out further than 50yards yet but i will eventualy