Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRF or MKII?

MRF or MKII?

Hello everyone from a newbie.
    I am seriously considering buying a Theoben, but can't decide between the new MFR or trusty MKII. Both rifles are the same price, and both get excellent reviews, unless you are into Daystates etc. I don't want to enter into that debate, however. Rather, I was looking for honest opinions about the relative merits and weaknesses of these two rifles in order to help me make up my mind. Of course, any news of good second hand ones would be nice...
    Many thanks,
    Dom
    Dom

Talking mfr

every time.
    it looks better,
    it fells good shoots bl**dy good.
    and i wanted the one you have just got,
    i have one mfr in 22 and love it to bits.
    bob...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Between the two, has to be the MFr for me.

However, I'd rather save a whole bunch of money and get a trusy Mk1 (or 4) !!!

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Sam Guest
    VFM its the MkI
    Air economy and FAC performance its the MkII
    Weight and balance it's the MFR,

All depends on your budget and personal prefs, any are fantastic rifles though IMO.

if you wont to F.A.C. it later on then you carnt beat a mark 11.

havent shot a mk2 but own an MFR superb rifle

Thanks, guys. I was thinking of trying for my ticket in the not-too-distant-future, so does this discount the MFR? Can this model be retro-tuned?
    Dom

Lurch Guest
    Before you write off the MFR as an FAC gun, let's be honest - how many shots do we each fire in a typical hunting trip (including checking zero)? Not that many I'll wager. Unless you're doing really high-volume lamping I can't see the MkII being a huge advantage. Even then, buying and carrying a spare bottle or three won't break the bank (or your back).

The MFR - once fettled by Ben Taylor - is purported to shoot 45-50 shots at 25ftlbs.

That is a LOT of bunnies from one cylinder.

A Daystate MK3 will do a similar number at the same energy but has the advantage that you can adjust the power level up and down.

i.e. MAybe get 100 shots at 18ftlbs for some work or 50-60 at 25 for longer range stuff.

Just a thought.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

ahhh yes but it sounds like he wants the best

Now now gaz man - who is to say that the MFR is superior to the Daystate?

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Both look nice but I have yet to see a Rapid with a decent piece of walnut on it.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

um, me?

I have nothing against the Daystates, infact i wouldnt mind owning one myself!

Originally posted by Russ6357
    Now now gaz man - who is to say that the MFR is superior to the Daystate?

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Both look nice but I have yet to see a Rapid with a decent piece of walnut on it.
    Wow - I'm having multi-thread conversations with Russ. I'm lucky enough to own both the MFR and the MK3 (FAC) - (although I don't feel so lucky when I get my bank statements) and they are as you say, very different rifles. I haven't had a chance to really put the MFR through its paces yet, but it is a handy little gun and great fun to shoot. But you may be surprised to hear that the main reason I bought it was the stock - it's beautiful. My mk3 woodwork is typically good, but my MFR is much prettier. Mine isn't the only one around with flashy wood either, so Theoben could have been listening to your complaints. This quality wood wasn't an option I paid for either - just luck of the draw.

Lionel

I must admit, the MFR is sounding more and more tempting. I think it is a good looking gun, but you can bet I'll be checking out the quality of the woodwork!
    Dom

HARDRAR Guest
    Hi Lionel, I believe a lot of the Theoben stocks have great wood, it's just that they need oil re finishing, instead of the naff' custom stocks lacquer. But Daystate and Falcon are just as guilty with the lacquer. Their stocks look brill too when refinished.