Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68yds with the longbow

68yds with the longbow

Can anyone explain this i had another go at 68yds this evening .
    1st group shot on 9x mag 71mm (4shots)
    2nd group the same settings 54mm (7shots)

3rd group on 4x 24mm (4 shots)
    4th group on 4x 37mm (5 shots )

Now how comes on higher mag the groups are twice the size.
    There was a head wind but it was fairly constant.
    pellets used Webley Mosquito.
    Longbow .22 , S410k .22.BSA Airsporter .22

Hi.
    I find this with all my shooting, the lower the mag, the tighter the groups
    I now hunt on 5X, as its my most accurate. FT I still do at 40X.
    I put it down to the lower wobble through the scope at the lower mag, enabling a tighter group.

I usually leave my scope on 6x untill i am in the trees the back to 3x when hunting.Thinking about it those were the first shots i took so probably was just honing my self to the gun.

hello mate,
    it could be as the target is easier to see at higher mag,you don't concentrate as much (as your brain thinks its easier) ?

well thats what i find

JASON..
    lots of takedowns

Maybe JJ maybe , I think it's just when i am zoomed in the target seems to wobble a lot due to my poor 'spot weld' while shooting with my van based hold.
    Nice to hear from you in a different venue bud.

Smile ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by remorem2jh@supanet.com View Post
    Can anyone explain this i had another go at 68yds this evening .
    1st group shot on 9x mag 71mm (4shots)
    2nd group the same settings 54mm (7shots)

3rd group on 4x 24mm (4 shots)
    4th group on 4x 37mm (5 shots )

Now how comes on higher mag the groups are twice the size.
    There was a head wind but it was fairly constant.
    pellets used Webley Mosquito.
    Have found that the higher the mag the larger the wobbly factor, and correction when holding over or aiming off,
    also if the scope don't quite suit??

Went from AGS 3x9x40 to Richter Optic 3x9x50, realising I aint no spring chicken and need all the help I can get within my small budget,
    shifted to BSA Essencial 44x4x12 Bingo! a scope that suits both my eyes and wallet, shoot mine at 9x on both my HW 77K and Lightning XL both in .22in,

As for pellets, Accupel for the 77K and JSB's for the Lightning, Webley Mosquito's do not suit either.

I had AGS 3x9x40 but did not like the wide dot spacing.
    I have a Richter Optic 3x9x50 on the lightning.
    got Bushnell Trophy's on the s410 and Longbow.
    I had a BSA Essential 4x16 x 44 but never much liked all that manification .
    I like the Trophy's best
    How do you find your Lightning ? i find mine very jumpy with its Venom kit installed the Longbow is much easier to fire.
    ATB Jamie.

Isn't parallax more critical at higher mags? Perhaps it's not spot on and causing the problem, mind you I wish I could shoot groups like that.
    .25 BSA Lightning
    .22 Rapid 7
    .22 Crossman Ratcatcher

i reckon on the higher mags you see the cross hairs moving more so you over compensate or try harder and thats where it all goes wrong
    l/h bsa s10 24" barrel and hw silencer bsa s10 19" barrel hw silencer and nc-03 nv
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/gunpowerchris_2008/13022008020.jpg

68 yards, you are basically lobbing a pellet at that distance, i havent got a scope atm, im stuggling to get 30mm groups at 20 yards open sights, but just got my webley stingray, so still improving, not sure how a scope would work in that, at it has a large precision front sight.

[QUOTE=somnophore;2355427]68 yards, you are basically lobbing a pellet at that distanceQUOTE]

The trajectory is more pronounced yes, but a 8.4 grain .177 pellet fired by a gun running at 11.3 ft lbs still has over 5 ft lb of energy left at 68 yards. The pellet is still being powered and is in stable and predicatable flight - in the absence of the environmental conditions that spoil long range groups, any good quality gun and pellet combination should still be able to group at this distance.

Sharpshoot1995 Guest
    I have been shooting at targets and hunting with my HW80 and have always set my scope to 9X40, it goes down to 3X40. If it does really work (not saying your lying or anythng) what zoom should I put it on?

if it does work, no wonder I've been missing kill zones on quarry and paper quarry (targets with pics on e.t.c)

Thanks

Just to clear one thing up,
    If you are wobbling at 12X mag even if you wind it down to 3X mag you are still wobbling but you just don't notice it.

Kenman Guest
    In two words Jamie......parallax error!

ATB

Ken

Kenman, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I'd appreciate your explanation of the optical issues involved....

I have also found tighter groups on lower mag (within reason) and I think it's down to eye/brain/hand coordination. I believe that there is a subliminal mechanism that works well so long as the image is apparently stationary, but is defeated by the visible wobble at higher mag.

It would be interesting if lots of people did an experiment of using say 5, 10 and 20 mag at 35yds (each using their same gun obvoiusly) and posted their group sizes. The evidence should speak for it's self.
    Mistakes are just direction signs on the road to success.