Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 68yds with the longbow

Potential for parallax error should be reduced on higher mag as the exit pupil diameter is smaller

I gave up on trying to understand scopes - I had one that when on either minimum or maximum mag worked fine and allowed good groups to be shot. On any mag inbetween the groups opened right up. Never did work that one out.

Prefer fixed mag now

Kenman Guest
    "Kenman, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I'd appreciate your explanation of the optical issues involved...."

Quite easy really, Jamie is a good mate of mine.

His 'scope is a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40mm that as supplied is parallaxed for 100yards. He adjusted this down to 35 yards....& is now shooting at 70 yards. So, parallax error!

ATB

Ken

the images blurr out on higher mags , with zoom scopes theres a little error to match so its down to actual quolity of scope-n-lens.

as far as i know a fixed mag scope is better than a zoom for above reasons.

if your looking through 12-15 lenses, a little error on each is a huge error.. if the guns not centered at the distance i think its well posable your looking 'sideways' through all those lenses so an error must occur. Now magnify it?

I use a 10x44 on my rifle & I have hit 1in targets at 50yds consistently using 16gr Logun Penetrators so I reckon it's just that you get on best with your mag at that setting. Everyone has different preferences so that might be yours. Failing that, it could just be parallax error as previously stated. Also, you might have a few dodgy pellets in that particular tin. Having said that, shooting at them sort of ranges with a 12ftlbs rifle there is a good chance there is going to be incosistencies with the POI as the pellet will have lost alot of its strike energy. I'm probably wrong but it might be worth looking into all the same. I hope that this is of some help.

Regards,

Keith

How about this? It's only a theory but it makes some sense to me.
    High mag = lots of more wobble. Your brain will tell you to release the shot the instant your eyes tell it you are right on target. Result more of a snatch on the trigger as you try to fire at that precise moment (even though you know you shouldn't) Snatched trigger = larger groups.
    Lower mag = a lot less wobble. Less presure on your brian to say NOW the second your eyes tell it you are on target. So a much smoother release and a tighter group.
    I also find lower mags give better groups. Although at anything beyound 50 yrds I don't think less than 12 x gives enough precision.