Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal HFT Scope

Lee S Guest
    Nikko Sniper 10x42 for me too... simple, good quality, bombproof, good optics and I think they look cool too !

What's the minimum focus length on the Sniper considering a target only has to be 7 or so yards out ??

Originally posted by PaulW
    What's the minimum focus length on the Sniper considering a target only has to be 7 or so yards out ??
    The minimum focal length is pretty much irrelevant - as you cannot adjust your scope for HFT once you have started the course!
    However with my scope set on about 20yrds (fixed 10x mag), a 7yrd target is blurred - but not enough not to be able to pick out the kill zone ....... the next target may well be at 50yrd - this i can see in good focus!
    The Snipers do have a wide depth of field ... as good as you can get on any fixed 10x mag IMO.

Regards
    Alan

Koz Guest

Just to clarify

UKAHFT Series Course

Maximum distance should be 45 yards and minimum 8 yards. Reduced hit-zone targets (25 mm minimum) may be placed out to 35 yards.

UKAHFT Rules OK

what do you guys mean with real mil-dots are course 4 holdover within 50 yrds and more usefull 4 bracketing?

Originally posted by bigfoxy
    The minimum focal length is pretty much irrelevant - as you cannot adjust your scope for HFT once you have started the course!
    However with my scope set on about 20yrds (fixed 10x mag), a 7yrd target is blurred - but not enough not to be able to pick out the kill zone ....... the next target may well be at 50yrd - this i can see in good focus!
    The Snipers do have a wide depth of field ... as good as you can get on any fixed 10x mag IMO.

Regards
    Alan
    I know you can't scope twiddle, perhaps I didn't phrase the question very well, but you answered what I wanted to know anyway, thankyou.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Originally posted by PaulW
    I know you can't scope twiddle, perhaps I didn't phrase the question very well, but you answered what I wanted to know anyway, thankyou.
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Gary C Guest
    Zeiler Ladder Ret
    Tasco Sniper
    EB Sniper
    Nikko Sniper

Just personal preference

Deben 10 x 42 DMP - I hope !!!

BTW can any of you brainy guys (Koz) explain the mildot / range finder thing in Metric please. The calculation in the Deben catalogue is imperial and involved dividing by 27.83 or something - hardly handy.

Surely @ 10 mag & metric it should be easier !!? Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Rog

Originally posted by roger 62
    Deben 10 x 42 DMP - I hope !!!

Nice scope mate - i also use the 6x26x56 DMP
    Should sort you out for HFT nicely!!!

Sorry i cant help you on the metric mildot bit - to tell you the truth, it baffles the hell out of me as well!

Regards
    Alan
    Tattooists only need a little prick!

Blaser R93 LRS2 in .308win Leup 6.5x20x50lr + T8
    Anschutz 1517L in .17 hmr Nikko 10x42
    Ruger 10/22 12" carbon barrel Zeiss 3.5x14x40
    RPA Interceptor 6mmBR nightforce NXS 12x42x56
    Anschutz 1913L in 2213L Alu stock
    Browning Citori 26"
    Beretta SO6eell 29"
    Daystate CRX lefty DMP 6x26x56

Darren Petts Guest
    Originally posted by hwtyger
    what do you guys mean with real mil-dots are course 4 holdover within 50 yrds and more usefull 4 bracketing?
    On a HFT course using .177 and 35 yd zero my poi never gets more than 0.7 of a mil-dot away from the crosshairs so the 4 x mil-dots up and down the reticle are redundant. The mil-dots are however useful for estimating range by braketing the killzone with a pair of mil-dots. Depending weather the killzone fills one mil-dot or is just under or over will help with the range estimation.

All the theory about mil-dot spacing is fairly useless 'cos how do you know your scope is a true mil-dot? How do you know it's actually on 10x mag just because the dial says it is?. Price is no guide here as I have a Bushnell 4200 which is out on either the mag or the spacing but I had a cheapy Rhino which was spot-on! Pick your magnification you prefer to shoot on and simply look at standard killzones downrange to get the hang of it.

Koz Guest
    A mil-dot scope set to give "true" mil-dot at x10 will give you a dot spacing that describes 1 moa (minute of arc) which is almost exactly 1/1000th of the range to your target.

So 1 mil-dot = 10cm at 100metres
    Or = 5cm at 50metres
    Or = 2.5cm at 25 metres

The 27.83 yards bit is the Imperial equivalent
    1 mil-dot = 1inch at 1000inches (27.83yards)

Full explanation :-

See under "More Information" - 3 Topics

Koz Guest
    Darren

It IS possible to establish the magnification of your scope.
    Once you've done that you can go on to check the calibration of your mil-dots.

I use my dots more for judging holdover/under than for rangefinding.
    True this distance is often less than a whole dot but that doesn't mean they don't help.

Like you I found that the zoom settings on my latest addition, a Leupold, weren't accurate whereas those on my Tasco/Hawke Varmints are bang on.
    I had to do some measuring to get the Leup to the x9 mag I like to use.

Cheers Koz

Think I've got it

Hope to see you at the weekend if I can dig out the thermals

Rog

Sid Guest
    I don't do HFT, although I shot a few of the early competitions, which makes me think I have a partial clue about scope choice.

The Meopta 6X42 ( just bought another, shouldn't have sold the last one ) with 8A multiple aimpoint reticle must be a strong contender in my opinion. The depth of field is awesome and the glass is as good as anything which S and B turn out.

I'm a big fan of the various 10X42 'Sniper' clones ( 16 and 20X as well ), but they give up a bit early when the going gets tough considering their price when new.
    Low light levels or awkward lighting conditions can make them seem a bit average. Much better value if bought secondhand IMO.