Just out of interest, I'm a member of Scottish Association of Country Sports.

As I take Woodpigeon for the pot then I thought I would get legal clarification.
I do kill them to prevent crop damage but, as we are a hunter-gatherer species then I did ask, what is the legal position for 'hunting' Pigeons.
In the SACS magazine they had printed an article about a chap being prosecuted by the RSPCA for allowing his son to shoot a pigeon in his own garden. SACS said this was not illegal so, again I wanted clarification.
I have cut and pasted his reply here.

Hi Geoff - thanks for the email.
I’m a bit pushed for time, so I will be brief - please excuse!
The public general licenses allow authorised persons to kill or take the species listed only for the reasons specified in the licenses - this is carefully worded to comply with EU law. The two we use most commonly as shooters are for the protection of crops and the protection of ground nesting birds.
It has been accepted that these species can be killed for these purposes at any time or in any place - it is not restricted to the protection of a specific bird nest or a specific field or crop - in other words it is fine in the legal sense to kill them at any time in any place, on the basis that they would be damaging crops or nests at some point in their lives.
The point is that although these are the only legal reasons for killing them, there is no restriction on what you do with them once you have killed them, so it’s perfectly ok to take them home and eat them (although I wouldn’t recommend it with crows!) or dispose of them in any way you see fit, including selling them to a game dealer if you have enough to make that worthwhile.
In practice, it is entirely academic until some member of the public or RSPB clown tries it on as in the case you mention, and to be safe, if anyone asks you why you shot a bird, you simply say for the protection of……. and that’s the end of it.

That'll do for me