Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defra Licence:

Quote Originally Posted by Alegazmoz View Post
    Gull, Great Black-backed, Larus marinus
    Gull, Lesser Black-backed, Larus fuscus
    Gull, Herring, Larus argentatus

Subject to the provisions of the caveats listed above.
    Just thought I'd point out that, in January this year, the Herring Gull and Great Black-Backed Gull were removed from the General Licence and these can now only be taken in special circumstances and a licence must be obtained from Natural England.

Clarification. Airshot:, SORRY - AIRHOLIC. NO you cannot shoot woodpigeons for the pot, because they have no defined shooting season in the UK.

You CAN shoot woodpigeons for crop protection, at any time of th eyear (i.e. there is no close season - although I, personally, would not advocate shooting them during the nesting season. That is just my old fashioned stance on it. It is legal, I just don't want to...for obvious reasons.)

Now, you must understand the reasons behind this differentiation, with regard to the rest of Europe. France and Italy in particular, their shooters are hopping mad that we can shoot woodpigeons all year round, under the general license agreement. This is because their own Ministers cocked up, in their view and when viewed against our Minister's approach to the subject, in that the woodpigeon in France & Italy (I know of these two, possibly Belgium, Lux, Spain, Germany et al) has a close season, and they are treated as a game bird, not a pest species. The French and Italian shooters want to know why we can shoot pigeons during the (as they see it) close season -and they can't.

Our Minister has actually done a good job in the past to maintain our right to shoot under the general license, because there is a great deal of pressure in Europe (Brussels) to make us fall in to line with them and have a close season on woodpigeons....hence why it is so important that we maintain our stance of only shooting for crop protection. NOT FOR THE POT. The fact you eat them afterwards has absolutely nothing whatever to do with - that was NOT the reason you shot them. It was just that having shot them for croip protection reasons it was a waste not to eat them.

Semantics? Word play? That is what politics is all about. So no more shooting for the pot, OK. Only for crop protection - then eat those pests rather than feed the fox.

EDIT: Actually, reading my own post, there is a glaring hole in the middle of my explanation. That is, as soon as you shoot for the pot, you turn a pest into game.....and they have close seasons, pests don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Greylag View Post
    Hello Kiriak,

That's due to the fact that Natural England took over administration/issue of the General Licences.

The information is available on their website at the address below

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/con...g/licences.htm

Regards
    A NEW link for for 2010 is required I think having looked for it again this year. This one will take you directly to the general licences

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/our...llicences.aspx

i see they have removed greater black back gull and herring gull but added parakeets but the lesser black back is still on the list

perhaps these gulls are becoming rare like starlings, well in front of the countryside alliance HQ office window anyway
    chippy

Rats, Squirrels and Rabbits

I've been downloading and reading the general licenses and they all seem to be for birds. Nowhere does it mention and mammals such as Rats, Rabbits or Squirrels.

Is there another General License covering these? Does anyone have a link?

Cheers,
    Shaun
    Weihrauch HW97k - V-Glided, competition trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbabwe Boy View Post
    I've been downloading and reading the general licenses and they all seem to be for birds. Nowhere does it mention and mammals such as Rats, Rabbits or Squirrels.

Is there another General License covering these? Does anyone have a link?

Cheers,
    Shaun
    these are all vermin and no license is needed m8

License requirements

Yep, I guessed that they may be classed as vermin, however I only found reference to Rabbits in the 1954 pest control act. I have no documentation that I can show to angry anti-shooting types that these are in fact classed as vermin. Are they actually vermin? Or do we all just go on anecdotal evidence ?

I'm looking for a link to a document that I can print out and show to the next tree-hugging, squirrel-loving liberal that shows that legally I am entitled to shoot any cute, fluffly, adorable little (grey) squirrel and rabbit that I may find on my land.
    Weihrauch HW97k - V-Glided, competition trigger

all you need is permission to be on the land,keep away from tree huggers and work within the law and they can do nothing but it is an offense to cause a person distress so walk away from trouble
    except you could point out the gray tree rat has removed our red tree rat and is destroying trees..you could print out all the pages av and hand it to them to read for a while,that will keep them busy
    chippy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbabwe Boy View Post
    Yep, I guessed that they may be classed as vermin, however I only found reference to Rabbits in the 1954 pest control act. I have no documentation that I can show to angry anti-shooting types that these are in fact classed as vermin. Are they actually vermin? Or do we all just go on anecdotal evidence ?

I'm looking for a link to a document that I can print out and show to the next tree-hugging, squirrel-loving liberal that shows that legally I am entitled to shoot any cute, fluffly, adorable little (grey) squirrel and rabbit that I may find on my land.
    Hows this...
    General Alliance

It should have all you need
    Grey Squizzer
    Rats
    Rabbits
    .. and the birds...

HTH

Danny
    Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gr8funtargets
    gr8fun.net

Thank you Dannro. That General Licence 'Omnibus' is brilliant. All we want in one place.I am going to print it out and bombard the neighbours, but it is about 30 pages! so perhaps I will print out when needed. But thanks anyway.
    bill

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    all you need is permission to be on the land,keep away from tree huggers and work within the law and they can do nothing but it is an offense to cause a person distress so walk away from trouble
    except you could point out the gray tree rat has removed our red tree rat and is destroying trees..you could print out all the pages av and hand it to them to read for a while,that will keep them busy
    chippy
    I didn't know tree huggers could READ,
    Current Guns, Hatsan Gladius, Hatsan Galatian, Hatsan AT44 Craftsman Vit Bullpup, Brocock Compatto, Air Arms S200, AA TX200 hc, AA TX200 sr, Hammerli AR20FT, Benjamin Trail NP2 Walther cp99

If you are not in England you need to find the correct one for your location.
    Be it Wales,Scotland etc.
    Not sure about Scotland but you definately need the correct one in Wales.

Thumbs up

Many thanks Danro,

just what i've been looking for

Very useful

Another very useful thread
    I have been shooting any Magpies that I see in my garden believing that under the UK general licence I was legal to do this on the basis that Magpies would kill and eat any other bird, eggs or chicks whenever they get the opportunity.
    Then I read something on another site that said you were breaking the Law to do this.

After reading this thread it seems clear that I can shoot Magpies at any time in my Garden to protect other wild birds.

Hi all

I have just read the General Licence you can legally eat the quarry that the licence allows you to shoot, see EXPLANATORY NOTES, para h.

Also, you can legally sell woodpigeon to game dealers Bonus

Cheers
    Craeg