Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: punt guns

punt guns

does anyone have any info on punt guns please tryed the web with little success

thanks in advance

http://www.wildfowling.com/puntgun.htm
    What sort of info are you after? John Forsey was the place around here to get big wildfowling guns, but havent been there for a while
    http://www.johnforsey.co.uk

Theres bound to be a proper wildfowler or two around here, unfortunately I only shoot inland. BASC also have lots of fowling info as they were originally the Wildfowlers Association of Great Britain and Island (WAGBI), and own at leat one punt and gun setup.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella

Re Punt Guns

Try the Wildowling forum, ezboard.com/bduckandgoosehunting , as you can imagine there is quite a bit of info on there, also you could try the BASC
    There are still some hard cases who practice the sport out there!

Quote Originally Posted by tikka lad View Post
    Best source I know of for info on punt guns (stanchions) is Peter Hawker's book, Instructions to Young Sportsmen.

He designed his own double barrelled punt gun which was built by various makers including Durs Egg, Joe Manton and Westley Richards. Not a lot he didn't know about wildfowling

John Henry 1 Guest
    I used to out with an old local on the River Ouse, when I was a lad. He was a real character. He had, what I remember to be, a 4bore mounted on the front of his punt [I use the word punt loosely].

snipperuk Guest
    bit of history for you ..... where it all started

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...k/blackhut.jpg

thanks but i need more on how to build one rather than were it started but yet again thankyou

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Building one would be an interesting exercise, you would need access to a big lathe, at least colchester mascot in size. My Bantam is not big enough!
    It would be easier to build a muzzleloader as less complex. However its done the design and workmanship has to be beyond reproach and it should be proofed.
    In the old days locomotive steam pipe was often used for barrels with reinforcing sections shrunk on at the breech end.
    At least one gun was built from a surplus bofors gun barrel and must have been a mighty piece, i heard it was lost in the solway along with its gunner but i cant remember the details

In the havant museum in hampshire , i seem to recall that in the firearm section there was a fairly sizeable part of it devoted to punts etc...

However , it has been a while since ive been down there so am unsure if they could be any help at all .

Atb ,
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka lad View Post

thanks in advance
    Maybe I can be of some help, I have
    just finished the second one of a pair
    Regards. Mick.

where do you use them mick?

Punt gun

I dont use them as such, a local fowler asked me if I would make him one so I thought it would be just as easy to make a pair. the chap operates in the wash area.
    If I ever get the hang of this site I'll put some pictures on for you if you are interested. Cheers for now.
    Mick.

Here are plans for a punt to go with a 200 lb gun

http://www.robinhewitt.net/puntgun.jpg

mick if you wouldnt mind please or you can email them direct to me, hey i will even go old fashioned and send a large SAE for photos

thanks so much