Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 HAENEL Model XXXX - 1920/30's

.177 HAENEL Model XXXX - 1920/30's

Haenel Model XXXX , 1920's or 1930's - This is one of those hardy survivors through the decades - Its probably had a good 80 years of childrens play !
    Lots of character. Plenty of life left in it - well made. This model has the rifled barrel and a beautiful little rearsight, no cracks in stock.
    Stock screw and foresight missing and barrel axis screw is a replacement, though does the job. As you would expect the finish is worn, but I think it classes as a patina ! All works fine, but spring will need replacing. Very easy on the eye !

Will purchase parts if you have them or sell for £30.00 and post - Paypal, cash by registered delivery or cheque if necessary, or collection from Welshpool or Oswestry
    Last edited by silva; 22-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.

bump - NEW PRICE £30.00 AND POST !
    Last edited by silva; 22-09-2007 at 04:12 PM.

BUMP FOR NEW PRICE !!! £30.00
    Last edited by silva; 22-09-2007 at 04:06 PM.

hello silva
    is this the type with a quarter stock (just a rear stock) please?

any chance of a pic?

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi John,
    This has a full stock and is the rifled solid barrel model XXXX version of the semi tin plate model XXX, which in turn was the full stock version of the half stock Model XX.
    See the green Hilliers page 141. Will sort out some pics but it will be a day or so.

Regards Morgan

Pics Added !!!

bump !!!!! !!!!!!

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Is this still for sale?

Hi Ogilkes,

Yes I've still got it.

Cheers Morgan

Haenel

PM Sent

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I'll take it if its still there. PM to you

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi John,
    This has a full stock and is the rifled solid barrel model XXXX version of the semi tin plate model XXX, which in turn was the full stock version of the half stock Model XX.
    See the green Hilliers page 141. Will sort out some pics but it will be a day or so.

Regards Morgan
    Hi Morgan. Did a search for Haenel and found this thread. I have just been given a Haenel XX 177. It looks ancient but still works o.k. Thought that I would strip and re-stain the stock. Was interested to find it mentioned in your post, because I have'nt found it anywhere else so far. Can you provide any info on it for me?

Thanks
    Bob G

Hi Bob,
    I haven't got much info either ! According to Hiller the XX is also known as the model "20". It was made by Haenel of Suhl, Germany from the middle of the 1920's to 1930's and there may have been some unsold stock disposed off after the war.

Quote Hiller -
    " Similar to the Diana pre war Model 20, but not identical.
    34, 1/4 inches long with a 14, 1/8 inch .177 smoothbore barrel. Appears to be sold in .177 smoothbore only.
    All parts nickel plated, except for the sights.
    Tinplate construction with a heavier than usual gauge metal. Pillar foresight and spring type rearsight.
    Underside of barrel stamped "MADE IN GERMANY". Cocking lever has chequering pressed into the metal. Top of trigger block stamped, "XX" and has the Haenel trademark in the arrow.
    "MADE IN GERMANY", is also stamped on the underside of the action where it joins the stock. Stock bears the date stamp.
    Advertised weight 3lb 2 oz. Early examples will have the circular trademark instead of the arrow.
    Sold .177 smoothbore only and either had a blued or nickel finish. By the late 1930's the rearsight was mounted on the barrel and not on the air chamber "

These are interesting rifles and well worthy of collecting. I would have happily hung onto mine, but I'm mostly into old Bsa's and try to keep my collection numbers moderate !

Rather than refinishing the stock from scratch, you could try a gentle rub over with 000 grade wire wool and then rub in a few coats of linseed oil to restore the finish - possibly with a little woodstain first if its very faded and bleached. American Walnut colour stain is a good low key general one. Keep giving it a light coat of linseed then every time you feel like it and you will revitalise the woodwork and soon have a really good finish.

Same with the metal work - try an oily rag and a gentle wirewool.
    These tin plate rifles always look a little strange refinished - keeping the original finish and patina of age will preserve its collector value and makes them more interesting and easy on the eye.

Cheers Morgan

morgan

i think you're doing these rifles an injustice in calling them tinplate, as i understand it a tinplate rifle has a barrel that is sheet steel shaped into a barrel but with a brass barrel liner, your gun clearly has a solid steel breech block which (to my mind) keeps it out of this category....

i had a webley junior rifle (well two of them actually!), this is a true tinplate (unless i'm wrong)

regards, john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi John,
    My Haenel "XXXX" with the solid barrel isn't a tinplate, but Bob's "XX" is.
    The "XX" is a different model with a half stock and classic tin plate construction.
    Great rifles those Webley Juniors, I had a really beat up one once, that still shot well. I gave it to a young lad who was feeding my ferrets while I was away working and he had good use out of it.

Cheers Morgan
    Last edited by silva; 03-12-2007 at 10:12 PM.