Thread: stock repair question

stock repair question

I have a Sharp Innova that has been damaged around the trigger guard area where the naff sharp trigger safety is. i want to repair it as i am going to refinish the wood anyway.
    therefore i'm wondering how, as some of the wood has been 'chewed away' by the trigger safety. i'm thinking of using 'plastic wood' if they still sell it. does anyone else have another/better idea? any help will be hugely appreciated. thanks folks.

Unless you're going to paint over it, the plastic wood (or any other filler) will stick out like a sore thumb as soon as you put the stain on. If you intend to stain and oil (or lacquer), and assuming it is possible, I would blend the roughness out by sanding a new local profile into the base wood.

Cheers,
    Doug
    ... 'My Good Deals' - see >here<, post #538
    BASC
    >visit their website< & find out how to join

thanks for the reply Doug. i am going to stain it. i think the damage may be a little too big to blend in with sandpaper though.
    any other ideas lads?

stock repair

try to cut the damage into some sort of shape so you can glue a piece in then let it set and shape you new piece then stain it it will less noticed but saying that i am a jioner but it will work if your carefull(plastic woods ok for tommy walsh)

Quote Originally Posted by paulw6969 View Post
    try to cut the damage into some sort of shape so you can glue a piece in then let it set and shape you new piece then stain it it will less noticed but saying that i am a jioner but it will work if your carefull(plastic woods ok for tommy walsh)
    i was thinking "who does this Paul think i am? Handy Andy?" until i read the last bit. to be honest that is far beyond me. i will try to do what Doug says by using my dremel to start with and see how it goes.

thanks very much for the replies, as always you guys are great.

Dave