Thread: BSA superstar information

BSA superstar information

Who can tell me something about this gun?

BSA superstar number:rh07572.

Looking for model, information about it as a gun I don't know anything about them really, value in average condition.

Oliver

Superstar

Hi Oliver
    I own a Superstar in .177.
    It is an underlever rifle with the same rotating breech that is used on the last of the Airsporters (RB2's)
    The spring has to be compressed for the alloy breech unit to rotate
    The trigger is excellent and far more sophisticated than on the Airsporter.
    I believe the trigger unit is shared with the Supersport and maybe the Lightning
    Stocks are beech and although they have an attractive shape, the finish is a soft laquer(possibly cellulose) which is easily scratched
    The .177 will give 1" - 5 shot groups at 50 yards, so it is an accurate rifle
    Power and accuracy'out the box' was very good, and the piston head looks like nylon(similar to the FWB 124/127's)
    Mine is 10 ft lbs with the spring fitted and almost 12 ftlbs with the Theoben gas ram fitted. Unfortunately the gas ram makes the rifle more difficult to cock but accuracy is still of the order of 1" groups at 50 yds
    There is a full length and a carbine model and the guns have a potential to develope high energy levels, particularly in .22 by the addition of piston weights
    The Superstar has the excellent scope dovetail fixture developed by BSA
    When they were discontinued, Superstars were getting on for nearly £300 so they were not cheap to buy but are a quality gun and probably one of the best air rifles ever made by BSA
    hold me back !!

Thats brilliant thankyou!

I'm possibly going to be using it as my main hunting gun and getting rid of all the others to make more room for shotguns lol!

Superstar

Hi again Oliver

With regard to value, I would say :

A sound example showing a lot of hard use in the field about £90-£100

In good condition with no corrosion to metalwork or stock damage other than light scratching £125-£160

In excellent condition £170

Mint £190

With the gas ram fitted add about £25

These are just my guess based on the 3 Superstars bought by myself and a couple of shooting friends a couple of years ago

ATB John
    hold me back !!

Is there a way to tell if a gas ram is fitted? It feels different to a springer somehow, doesn't really matter anyway as no intention of selling this one.

Jim145 is offline I've decided not to touch mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by wildoliver View Post
    Is there a way to tell if a gas ram is fitted? It feels different to a springer somehow, doesn't really matter anyway as no intention of selling this one.
    I Would think its very similar to the Goldstar. So if you take the stock off and look under the cylinder there will be a channel where you can see inside the gun. If you can see the coils then there's a spring in there, if not, its been rammed!

I havd one of the last superstar's sold in the UK in .177 0 great rifle -tuned by SFS with a custom delrin silencer -light easy to shoot good trigger and RB breach a joy - agree with the easily scratched stock - now if I can just find a custom stock to fit...
    Cheers
    Stu
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk