Thread: Air Rifle Bench Rest Competition Shooting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Rifle Bench Rest Competition Shooting

Calling all serious 25m benchresters - I would like to know what the consensus is on the best dedicated benchrest competition air rifle. There is very little info online, including the UKBR22 website where the air rifle section is still in Italian! Apparently the Italians have been doing BR air rifle for years, but only recently have the UK .22 rimfire leagues opened up to .177 air rifle. I've been using my pro target in the Yorkshire leagues (you aren't allowed a rear support bag for these comps) and whilst the PT is grouping quite well at 25m indoor (average 4mm to 6mm centre to centre with the very occasional 'same holer') averaging 11.4ft lb with sub 8ft per sec variation, this is still found wanting when you are trying to obliterate a set of 20 tiny 2mm aiming marks.

I've tried all the tricks of pellet washing, sorting, weighing, pellet sizing, lubing, mucking around with barrel harmonics, regular barrel cleaning (VFG kit) prayer, cussing, deals with the devil etc, but I still get the odd flyer, ruining an otherwise respectable card.

I know Anschutz do a dedicated BR air rifle (8002), but are there any others commonly accepted as the best guns to use for BR?

If there are any of you out there who are seriously into 25m BR, I would be grateful for opinions on best equipment and technique.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hooty; 18-11-2007 at 01:49 PM.