Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle Bench Rest Competition Shooting

Air Rifle Bench Rest Competition Shooting

Calling all serious 25m benchresters - I would like to know what the consensus is on the best dedicated benchrest competition air rifle. There is very little info online, including the UKBR22 website where the air rifle section is still in Italian! Apparently the Italians have been doing BR air rifle for years, but only recently have the UK .22 rimfire leagues opened up to .177 air rifle. I've been using my pro target in the Yorkshire leagues (you aren't allowed a rear support bag for these comps) and whilst the PT is grouping quite well at 25m indoor (average 4mm to 6mm centre to centre with the very occasional 'same holer') averaging 11.4ft lb with sub 8ft per sec variation, this is still found wanting when you are trying to obliterate a set of 20 tiny 2mm aiming marks.

I've tried all the tricks of pellet washing, sorting, weighing, pellet sizing, lubing, mucking around with barrel harmonics, regular barrel cleaning (VFG kit) prayer, cussing, deals with the devil etc, but I still get the odd flyer, ruining an otherwise respectable card.

I know Anschutz do a dedicated BR air rifle (8002), but are there any others commonly accepted as the best guns to use for BR?

If there are any of you out there who are seriously into 25m BR, I would be grateful for opinions on best equipment and technique.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hooty; 18-11-2007 at 01:49 PM.

I am just getting into benchrest. Story so far.... I am experimenting with a FWB 300s with an uprated spring (kindly supplied by Wonky Donkey) and a Tasco 6-24 scope and a bench and rest that I made myself. Its beginning to come together. I also tried my unmodified Walther LGR yesterday with a 3-9 scope and this looks very promising. If you look at the UKBR22 results for the winter 2007 series, far and away the most successful guns were the AA S400 in the sport class and the FWB P70FT in the unlimited class. The results spreadsheet is most usefull as it gives all guns used along with pellets, scope and even benchrest details. However, its a bit scary when you see that the sport section was decided on X's with the first two both scoring possibles (1250 out of 1250). Are you entering the NSRA/Eley comps, benchrest section?

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    The Feinwerkbau P70 is the most accurate sub 12 ft/lb air rifle I have ever used. I have put in a couple of 5 shot groups at 25 yards indoor which an unfired pellet (JSB Exact) would not drop through.

AR Benchrest

Nice one gents. Norm, I want to improve a little more before raising my head above the parapet for the NSRA/Eley comps! I'll have to see if I can borrow a FWB (left-handed) to try. Do you wash, sort, size, generally muck about with pellets or are you finding those amazing results with the P70FT with JSB's straight from the tin?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooty View Post
    Nice one gents. Norm, I want to improve a little more before raising my head above the parapet for the NSRA/Eley comps! I'll have to see if I can borrow a FWB (left-handed) to try. Do you wash, sort, size, generally muck about with pellets or are you finding those amazing results with the P70FT with JSB's straight from the tin?

I use JSBs straight from the tin, I just give them a visual before putting them in the breech.

Gary C Guest
    If anybody knows anything about airgun benchrest shooting could you drop me a pm?

I am looking to visit a club to have a go for a new AGW series.

Kingplinker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    If anybody knows anything about airgun benchrest shooting could you drop me a pm?

I am looking to visit a club to have a go for a new AGW series.
    Garry

Although I don't shoot benchrest , Buxted are doing very well in the comps so perhaps have a word with Andy ( simmmo ) ???

hth

Dave

Gary C Guest
    Thanks Dave

Will contact him

The Air Rifle section in Italian on the UKBR22 site is in fact a 'link', the Air Rifle info on the site can be found, in English, under the Rules section.
    As has already been suggested, have a look at the scores spreadsheet with all the kit information on it.
    I've been shooting a FWB P70FT modified by Jon Harris since the start of our AR competitions. Originally I was using JSB 4.52's which seemed fine on NSRA PL14 targets with a 15mm bull, were not up to the job of taking out a 2mm bull with any sort of consistency. I changed to Baraccuda Match, after realising the Italian guys were using them, and found their 4.51's do the job quite well.
    I've got a pdf 20 diagram version of the UKBR22 target if anyone would like to try their hand, please shout if I can be of any help.

Cheers Robb H
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

id like a go at these targets, can you send me the pdf to my email in my profile please
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    The Feinwerkbau P70 is the most accurate sub 12 ft/lb air rifle I have ever used. I have put in a couple of 5 shot groups at 25 yards indoor which an unfired pellet (JSB Exact) would not drop through.
    Is this the FT version or 10m, would 6 ft/lb group Ok at 25yd indoors. I have on a good day shot 9mm c/c groups at 50m with a P70 ft rested on a sandbag. I think it is hard to beat for ultimate accuracy.
    Custom Target Woodwork www.customtargetwoodwork.co.uk
    Feinwerkbau P70FT-FWB-Steyr LG100FT-Steyr LG110FT-Steyr Hunting5 Scout-Hammerli Lp 20 Pro-CP88 Target Nickel-HW77-HW97K-HW98-Hw85-HW95 The Falcon man.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    I score the club targets in the UKBR22 postal league and have seen peoples scores and the way they score ie no. of 10x's as opposed to just 10's improve over the last two seasons. Most people have shot S400s at one time or another and upgraded to supposedly better kit to find their averages drop. Unless you want to shoot unlimited (stock puts you at a disadvantage and nothing else in my opinion as the trigger is workable) an AA S400 will take some beating.(Why have I just bought aSteyr?) It makes the weight for all classes but time will tell if I need to go back to the 400 which due to getting it regged imminentley disqualifies it from my main two classes.

The rules on the UKBR22 site under the airgun section explain what you can use for the different classes.

Find a routine if your rifles not regged that maintains your sweet spot and watch that parrallax/head position. The right pellet for your barrell is really emphasised when shooting these targets as single hole groups need to be really tight and one pellet on a target really shows up any shortcoming in pellet fit. Good glass. Discover your rifles accurracy quirks.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

bench rest

Could anyone confirm the distance in the NSRA/Eley comp.bench rest competition
    Is it 25 yards or 25 metres?

Also in the Eley bench rest competition, are the airguns and rimfire guns in the same class?

My club have just commissioned a new 25 yard indoor range for 25 yard rimfire and 20 yard Sport Rifle and Air Pistol. Air rifle bench rest sounds appealing especially to older guys(like me) who find prone rimfire too much hard work and tough on the elbows

Any info regarding this discipline would really be appreciated(in the thread or by pm)
    Thanks
    John
    hold me back !!

I believe that the NSRA/Eley benchrest can be shot over a variety of distances using the appropriate NSRA proportionate targets. Certainly 25 yard and 20 yard are included. I think that you can buy these targets in smallish quantities eg 100
    Look on the NSRA shop section of their website.
    You can also enter a lot of the Lightweight sport rifle contests using an air rifle. I have entered the Hendon league for both open sights and any sights. See the NSRA rulebook for their air rifle definition for LSR

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon25 View Post
    Is this the FT version or 10m, would 6 ft/lb group Ok at 25yd indoors. I have on a good day shot 9mm c/c groups at 50m with a P70 ft rested on a sandbag. I think it is hard to beat for ultimate accuracy.

It was an FT version.
    Not sure about the 6ft/lb version but I think it should be ok as I have shot a 5 ft/lb air pistol at 20 yards successfully.