Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle Bench Rest Competition Shooting

air rifle bench rest

Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    I believe that the NSRA/Eley benchrest can be shot over a variety of distances using the appropriate NSRA proportionate targets. Certainly 25 yard and 20 yard are included. I think that you can buy these targets in smallish quantities eg 100
    Look on the NSRA shop section of their website.
    You can also enter a lot of the Lightweight sport rifle contests using an air rifle. I have entered the Hendon league for both open sights and any sights. See the NSRA rulebook for their air rifle definition for LSR
    Many thanks norm
    John
    hold me back !!

You can shoot the Hendon League Benchrest with an Air Rifle. I do it myself.

Only limiting factors are that it has to be .22 calibre because competitors are also welcome to use rimfire .22 l/r. (no bipods allowed)

Funny enough last season I kicked a lot of the rimfire guys asses with my .22 bog standard HW100 !!

Gary... if you are ever down London, Surrey, Kingston, way... I have 24 hour access to the club. You are more than welcome mate.

Cheers

ADK

Dr Bob Guest
    In the Yorkshire league we can shoot .177 but it is marked by using the .22 gauge so we don't lose out. Gary the Bradford Pistol and Rifle Club shoot in many bench rest postal leagues and most of the committee members are retired and live local so if you are going to be in the area give me a PM and we may be able to open up for you. Oh yes forget to mention we have a bar

Regards, Bob

I have to agree that the P70FT is a one-hole machine. I have one in a P700 chassis with some minor mods and it's incredibly good at 30 metres indoors and it seems very flexible pellet wise. I would feel quite confident that with half decent JSBs at 25 yards this gun would not miss a 2mm target. The barrels on these must be good, I shot a load of reject JSBs out of the P70 and they still were one-holers, it doesn't need cleaning either. Cocking a P70 might make it move on the bags though.

Perhaps the most accurate thing I ever used at 30 metres was my much fiddled Walther Dominator when it was fitted with a hammer-forged poly barrel. I only changed the barrel because it was poor at longer range, only doing inch groups at 50 yards. It was so good out to medium range that it almost defied comprehension.

Having said all this there is no reason why your PT shouldn't produce results. What barrel shroud set up does it have? Is the crown OK? Does it throw the odd one whatever pellet you use?

I hope this sport goes somewhere, I've got a mint Baush and Lomb 36x40 BR scope ready and waiting.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Benchrest

Nimrod, Bob's getting a FWB? God help us all! A shame his GC2 is moving on - it's a beauty - fantastic lump of timber. Stand it on its end, stick on some branches and a few seasonal baubles and it wouldn't be much smaller than the tree from whence it came. Good report on defiant pellets Bob - ascerbic as always

Just a side note.

Steyr produce a dedicated bench rested rifle too.

Have a look on the Steyr Sportswaffen website.

Nimrod,

The P70 at city air weapons was nearly bought by me several times but I had my mind set on a blue one and now I have 2. These P70 are No 1 in my book but have to be blue!!!. You wont be disapointed with the gun.
    Custom Target Woodwork www.customtargetwoodwork.co.uk
    Feinwerkbau P70FT-FWB-Steyr LG100FT-Steyr LG110FT-Steyr Hunting5 Scout-Hammerli Lp 20 Pro-CP88 Target Nickel-HW77-HW97K-HW98-Hw85-HW95 The Falcon man.

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    To follow on from Simmo's post.
    I shoot a standard S400 off the bench at Buxted and I was getting a lot of flyers on AA452's. Worse with JSB's.
    As has already been said, benchrest shooting is pretty well established at Buxted, therefore there was lots of good advice.
    Lead the barrel, clean the barrel, find the sweet spot, establish a routine, find the right pellet, inhale and hold, exhale and hold, head position, body position, wear the right/same clothes, clean the gun, do this do that .......
    ...... and then it happened ....... someone gave me half a dozen expensive wad-cutters he used in his FWB and the results were amazing.
    I was inspired, I ripped the gun to bits, polished guides and hammers, cleaned things, oiled others. No moderator, no stripper, no muzzle break, shot 'em straight out of the pipe. Twenty quids worth of select H & N flat-tops . I never shot so good .. except ... the pellets appeared to be striking the cards and rolling on impact, on the card-board backing, tearing an irregular hole. No good for the .22 guage as it was dropping straight through. This unusual pattern occurred at points where the target holder wasn't quite aligned, which was pretty much most of them.
    Alignment was never an issue for FT diabolo's, they just shot up the target mount. It has been suggested the rifle's power may be down, so it'll get chrono'd ASAP.
    Obviously the first set of targets were no good and had to be repeated.
    Back on the AA452's and guess what my 10 and 10x averages are just the same, but the flyers are down to 10mm and not 10cm.
    However, I did my cards with a moderator fitted next month without and a rabbit's foot in each hip pocket.
    You just can't buy luck or accuracy either for that matter.
    ATVB.
    Gary.

Sharpshoot1995 Guest
    I am not a serious air rifle shooter but might start seriously and could do with some advice. I have a Weihrauch HW80 and it is fitted with a 3-9X40 scope. Would that scope and gun be all right for 25m benchrest?

Many Thanks

You need to be able to see a 2mm roundel at 25yds.
    Anything in excess of 24mag for unlimited or hunter class is fine, but you have to learn to die on each shot, otherwise breathing is a serious problem.
    Sporter class maximum 12mag, get a fine reticle, otherwise the cross hair marker blots out the centre.
    Have fun!
    arf!

..... sorry, shooting off a bench with a springer might be a laugh initially, but the fun doesn't last and you'll realise that a PCP, or match rifle are the only way to go.
    ATVB.

We shoot 25m and 40m benchrest springers in our little club, I'm not sure whether using a beanbag is technically benchrest....but our rules say only one support can be used, ie; Beanbag, bipod (When using a pcp), ricebag, cushion etc whatever...but one rest only. We often have scores of 97/98 ex 100, this is with an 8mm bullseye at those distances...fun fun fun.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    If you enjoy shooting the benchrest why not join this lots http://www.benchrest22.org/home.htm postal league. Look at the scores in the Unlimited air rifle they are shooting 2mm bulls.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    If you enjoy shooting the benchrest why not join this lots http://www.benchrest22.org/home.htm postal league. Look at the scores in the Unlimited air rifle they are shooting 2mm bulls.

Andy
    Andy I feel a job coming on for you my friend. Sorry I didn't get to the PO with the Fly badges, will post tomorrow.

Regards
    Robb H
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Romah View Post
    Andy I feel a job coming on for you my friend. Sorry I didn't get to the PO with the Fly badges, will post tomorrow.

Regards
    Robb H
    I feel an old back injury coming on.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.