Thread: Dating and valuing a BSA Airsporter and a BSA Cadet Major

Dating and valuing a BSA Airsporter and a BSA Cadet Major

I am about to put up for sale a couple of old BSA airguns that have been in my family for quite a while. The first is a .22 BSA Airsporter that my dad bought second hand for a fiver whilst on business in Peterborough in 1963. When he got it home he noticed the stock was damaged. Those of a nervous disposition should now look away as he proceeded to put a screw in it and top that off with a chrome cap - which is still in position 44 years later!! I'm struggling to read the serial number but I think it is GD8192. All the digits are clear apart from the second, but I think it is a D. It still works, has never been near a gun shop since the day he bought it and is probably best decribed as fair condition for it's age. If anyone can help put an accurate age on it that would be great.

The second is a .177 BSA Cadet Major that my dad bought second hand for me around 1980. It had been refurbished when he bought it and still has a beautiful, dark, finish on the stock, albeit it has a fair bit of light scratching and a few deep scratches. The serial number on it is CC20170 and, again, I would be very appreciative of any guidance as to it's age. This also works and has not been near a gun shop since at least the 1980's

When I eventually sell both the guns I will take a number of photographs of them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Slender

info

hi your airsporter is a mk 2 and was made between september 1959-december 1965 and the cadet major was made between 1955-1957 hope this helps not sure of prices but here goes cadet approx £40 and the airsporter probably alittle more but the damaged stock will keep the price down
    Last edited by stuart; 19-11-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

Dating BSA Airsporter and cadet major

Airsporter gd sept1959-dec1965. Cadet major 1955-57.Dave

Airsporter

Hi Slender, If your airsporter has the first two letters of GB then it's a MK1 from about '56-'58, if they are GD then it's a MK2 from Sept.'59 to Dec.'65.
    The Cadet Major with the letters CC is from '55 - '57.
    HTH, Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

There you are we're all in agreement!
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Dating BSA Airsporter and cadet major

Great Minds Think Alike

Thank you...

...for your help, gents, much appreciated.

I shall probably put them up for sale on the bbs in the next day or two with accompanying photographs.

Cheers.
    Slender