Thread: This gotta beat them all- 500yards Big bore airgun shoot

This gotta beat them all- 500yards Big bore airgun shoot

here's the papa of long range airgun shooters..
    http://www.bigboreairguns.com/longra...ardtargets.htm

interestingly enough they have also founded and organization for long range airgun shooting - 'LASSO'

http://www.bigboreairguns.com/lasso/points.htm

must be a heck of a shoot off! dling dling..pfff pff, rifles being filled again..dling dling pff ppfff
    Last edited by flims; 22-11-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    here's the papa of long range airgun shooters..
    http://www.bigboreairguns.com/longra...ardtargets.htm

interestingly enough they have also founded and organization for long range airgun shooting - 'LASSO'

http://www.bigboreairguns.com/lasso/points.htm

must be a heck of a shoot off! dling dling..pfff pff, rifles being filled again..dling dling pff ppfff

Well this bloke must use a pump to fill his gun
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE

What power are they running!!?
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

there was nothing written on specs but with those kind of bullets(630grain) will get you to about 615ft/lbs the guys have also been to Africa with them, im waiting for the video to come out and get my hands on it. if its good as big bore airgun shooting 1, then it must be cool
    http://www.bigboreairguns.com/457/457.htm

Very impressive, must be quite long flight time. MV @ 200m/s gives around 3 seconds of flight before hitting the target. I guess you`ll need a really heavy bullet to get any accuracy.

Chroned my Career Infinity .25 yesterday

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...king/Data1.jpg

I need heavier bullets!!!

Im thinking around 70 - 80 grains to get the velocity down to 240ich that would also get energy up to around 110 ft-lbs.

Should be good for long range

110J ~ 80ft-lbs

finally you have it! so now we are in 2 who have it here. im using 31.2grain barracuda from mine set at 925ft/s average.
    1)924 1)920
    2)925 2)926
    3)931 3)928
    4)939 4)937
    5)936 5)936
    6)939 6)937
    7)934 7)935
    8)927 8)928
    9)927 9)923
    10) 917 10)915
    11)913 11)909
    12)905 12)903
    in both instances Extreme spread is 34ft/s.
    standard Deviation 11.68ft/s
    that rifle is a hammer out to 170yards. i prefer the 31grn barracuda than the 37grain pellet as the other needs more elevational travel to get out at those ranges and i dont have that much on my scope. My maximum is 55.5MOA but i will get another scope in MIL increments so i dont have to dial so much.
    it groups well all the way out. heavier bullets will need alot of elevation and after all they will need to group as well as the barracuda's. Mine shoot 1/4-1/2" ctc at 50. best group 1.2" at 140yards and 4" at 170yards. doesn't take more than 2sec to get to 170yards!
    send in a report when you finished playing with it.
    Last edited by flims; 29-11-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Red face The nut...

Hi flims!

Actually I have had the gun for about four months but since I’m suffering from a severe condition of poor judgement I haven’t been able to test it much on longer distances. When I bought the gun from param… I also bought a scope, a Leapers 3-12*44 but with parallax set at 35yrd – why? Poor judgement! So I used this scope for a while and realized it wasn’t good enough so I ordered a new one 3-12*44 AO and a leapers 8-32*56 AO, chrono, bipod and some more stuff… the 3-12 scope wasn’t in stock and they told me it could take a week or so; so I waited. After six weeks I removed the scope from my order and they sent it to me.

So after two months I finally got my shjt – cuz I have bad judgement.

This was about two weeks ago, at this time I had to go on business trip by car – in this season the weather conditions here in Norway can be very challenging for drivers since the roads mostly are covered by ice… due to poor judgement combined with an icy road I now haven’t got any means to go anywhere to shoot – my bmw is scraped…

tnks for you post. i'm curious to see how the air rifles work in such cold temperatures as you speak of. Are they still consistant? i never shot mine at less than 14degrees celcius i think. in summer i sometimes get strange numbers if it bakes in the sun.pressure soars ofcourse.
    For the price i think its hard to beat Falcon optics esp. the new Menace range. some friends of mine are vry pleased with them esp. with their Mil turret that matches the reticle perfectly.

Low temperature doesn’t affect pcps much, I just fill the to the same pressure and shoot. But temperature differences can be bad for a pcp since air expands with higher temperature. The expansion of air is fairly linear and can therefore easily be calculated with the absolute temperature (the Kelvin scale) 0 degrees Celsius is 273,15 in Kelvin. So if I fill my pcp to 3000psi outdoors at 0 Celsius and the bring it inside to room temperature it will have 3200 psi - at 20 degrees Celsius (from 0) the volume of gas has expanded 20/273,15=0.0732 roughly 7%.

In your case filling the gun indoors at 20 degrees and the leaving it outside to cook in the sun for a while so the black tube reaches 80 degrees is bad! At this temperature you will have 3660 psi in the tube.

Its good to be aware of this, especially if you leave the gun fully charged in a car on a hot day...

For CO2 its totaly diffrent - you can shoot with CO2 at low temperatures... well you could but it sucks

thanks for the explanation on airpressure johan.

In your case filling the gun indoors at 20 degrees and the leaving it outside to cook in the sun for a while so the black tube reaches 80 degrees is bad! At this temperature you will have 3660 psi in the tube.

Its good to be aware of this, especially if you leave the gun fully charged in a car on a hot day...

with regards to this, i dont leave it to bake in the sun but if im on the range for 4hours in summer and its 38degrees Celcius in the shade the gun is still getting warm. We do try to avoid leaving them in the sun altough the background temperature is still very high here in Summer. usually people leave about 10am as it starts getting unbearable but i did spend my fair share under the mediterreanean summer sun then run to the Sea
    the pressure would indeed rise and sometimes i would get higher velocities altough i was never sure if the higher velocities are because of the environmental conditions or because of the tube of the gun per se' as happens with external ballistics in firearms.

i fill the gun on the range as with those guns you need to lug the cylinder with you. i fill about 10 times on a range session if left in the car the o ring that is there to prevent over pressure will just tear and it starts loosing air

Just found this thread. Excellent.

I am about to order a shinsung dragon slayer .50 cal airrifle on friday and hope to have it by within the week.

I will be trying out the 200 and 225 grain pellets from pyramydair in the US.

No exp whatsoever with bigbore but been dying to have one for ages and now I am no longer in the UK and dont have to worry about fac laws etc I am going to get one.

I will post some pics and video as soon as I can.
    Last edited by el maipino; 11-12-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: mistype