Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bean Bags in HFT

Bean Bags in HFT

Right after last weeks post on the use of bean bags in HFT we decided to try a few things out yesterday at the Quarry shoot.

We allowed the use of bean bags and took out the sitting on your foot and back to the 3 point kneeling rule and I think all who “TURNED UP” agree that this is the best way even some lads who posted against it on here can see there’s not a problem or really an advantage as it would of not made any difference to the scores one bit!!! But could well of saves a few cuts bruises.

Another thing is its ok lads posting on here “Oh more rule changes blah blah” but at the end of the day as organisers we are responsible for shooters safety to, think about it, if we say to you no you can’t use a bean bag and then you knelt on some glass who are you going to come limping too moaning like hell, but if we allow bags you have a choice to use them and protect yourself from the terrain.

HFT is for enjoyment at the end of the day and I don’t think many would enjoy kneeling on ragged stones etc.

Please don’t come on here moaning that they are in again or at least turn up to a shoot first then by all means make a comment.

But as I said not one of the 50+ shooters yesterday disagreed after the comp we did have a few moans and mumbles at the safety talk beforehand but not afterwards when I think all understood.

Thanks to Dave Stancomb for being my model!!!!

So sorry to all that disagree but as I said above bean bags are in and sitting on your foot are out as to be honest we may as well allow sitting if that rule stays.

Here’s to a good season

Pete

Gary C Guest
    Pete

You need to do something about the noise mate. Every time I got down for a shot and had my little nap people kept waking me up chatting.

This happened on most pegs - but especially the last few when I had a little wallow in the mud as well.

I suggest a time limit - say a minimum of 5 mins a shot to make a day of it...

jonh Guest
    Dashed inconsiderate, all that noise.

You got home then? We wondered if you were still on peg 12.

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.
    Gary,

I know what you mean, I fell asleep during the shoot off also

It was only Sparky knocking the target over that woke me up.

What about a "pool" type ruling?

"Once you have addressed the peg ie touched it, you have a maximum of 2 minutes to take the shot?

Might sound a load of horlicks but.

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

I have never done any HFT (though it is something that I would like to try).

I thought the whole idea behind HFT was to get away from the rigid rules of FT and give people the chance to shoot as though they where out hunting.

If that is the case then there should only be one rule, and that is:

Do not point a gun (loaded or otherwise) at anything that you do not want to hit.

I think that on a HFT course you should be able to use whatever position gives you the best stability for the shot and also taking advantage of any trees, posts, fences, banks etc. that you can find to use.

A bunny rabbit is not going to hang around while you take ages setting up a shot…………

Gary C Guest
    Now come on guys be fair. I had to travel down with Sammie. I had to travel back with Sammie. I had to eat with Sammie.
    Laying down at those pegs.. listening to the birds.. enjoying the feel of the mud running down my sleeves and the sleet in my face... it's the only peace I get.
    Have you the heart to begrudge me this little bit of tranquility...?

Koz Guest
    Originally posted by Haje
    I have never done any HFT (though it is something that I would like to try).
    That's easily enough rectified isn't it?
    Just come along and try it.

I think that on a HFT course you should be able to use whatever position gives you the best stability for the shot and also taking advantage of any trees, posts, fences, banks etc. that you can find to use.
    With the exception of the sitting position this is already the case; including the use of terrain for support.

The use of the word "Hunter" in Hunter Field Target refers to the type of equipment used rather than to the simulation of hunting conditions.

With regards to rules, all sports need rules to define the competition.
    Whilst every attempt is made to keep HFT rules to a minimium rules are essential to maintain safety and fairness.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Like you Haje - haven't done HFT yet.
    When I first heard about it, seemed like something i'd enjoy (dont really want to become an olympic champion - just enjoy shooting!) - fairly informal, where those that attend share in their enjoyment of shooting with a bit of competition to make it interesting.
    Since reading the threads on this site, sounds as if its more about rules,regulations, and wining than enjoying a days shooting.

Please someone tell me ive got it wrong and restore my faith that its a good day out for those of us with a springer and not a shooting medal to our name.

I have viewed the HFT scene with interest, but as I see my son between 10-5 on a Sunday I cannot make the shoots.

Your post above, Gary has made my mind up, by fair means or foul I will make it to a shoot this year!

Richard.

Darren Petts Guest
    Can I ask if the beanbag can be stuffed under your ankle for support or just the knee? - thanks

Thanks for that info.

I'm planning on checking out a local HFT club meet.

Regards,

Paul

jonh Guest
    Steven

As Koz says - I would strongly advise you to try HFT before passing any judgement. You will probably be very supprised at just how relaxed and how friendly these shoots are.

You will find that people of all skill and motivation levels attend HFT shoots and that is the way it should be.

Yes - you have a hard core of very skilled shooters at HFT shoots and that is great becuase we can learn something from them. Without exception I have found them very friendly and always willing to help the less experienced.

The rules are not at all repressive and are there to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and fair days shooting.

I am not competetive and like HFT simply because I enjoy a good days shooting and the company of my fellow HFT shooters.

The fact that, despite appalling weather and much mud, everyone who attended the Quarry shoot this weekend had a great time speaks volumes for HFT 'format' and for the people who organise and attend these events. You could not wish to meet a nicer bunch of people.

Cheers
    Jon
    Last edited by jonh; 15-03-2004 at 02:04 PM.

Gazo Guest
    Originally posted by Darren Petts
    Can I ask if the beanbag can be stuffed under your ankle for support or just the knee? - thanks
    Just your Knee only Darren, Its used for protection of the knee on rough ground.

Darren Petts Guest
    Thanks for that. Nice to have the rules now sorted even if not to my personal choice in the matter. I can now put in some practice to the rules.

Gazo Guest
    Originally posted by steven
    Like you Haje - haven't done HFT yet.
    When I first heard about it, seemed like something i'd enjoy (dont really want to become an olympic champion - just enjoy shooting!) - fairly informal, where those that attend share in their enjoyment of shooting with a bit of competition to make it interesting.
    Since reading the threads on this site, sounds as if its more about rules,regulations, and wining than enjoying a days shooting.

Please someone tell me ive got it wrong and restore my faith that its a good day out for those of us with a springer and not a shooting medal to our name.
    Come along to a shoot Steve and see for yourself.
    As mentioned before all the rules are put in place for safety and fairness reasons.
    The reason you have seen alot of posts on this BBS about rules etc is because we are still finalising and fine tuning the rules before the HFT season starts.
    The rules are simple and have been kept to a minimum and any rules added are done for a very good reason IE ..safety which is number one to us organisers.

Please come along I promise you will enjoy it and you can then see first hand why we have the rules we do.

ATB

Gary (UKAHFT Official Organiser)