Thread: Sako 85 Varmint Stainless MT

Sako 85 Varmint Stainless MT

Just picked up one of these in .308. 20" barrel, factory threaded with a proper fitted end cap in stainless steel.

I haven't shot it yet, and it will be going through the usual meticulous run in process, but it is extremely well put together, and the laminate stock is just beautiful. The trigger is excellent, and it comes with a set trigger position as standard, which is going to be just the job for range days.

I had worried that it might be too heavy for stalking when fitted with a compact T8, Harris and scope, but it isn't. Any rifle with all that kit on is going to weigh a bit.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks. It is wearing a Leupold LRT M1 6.5-20x50.

Quote Originally Posted by bolted View Post
    Just picked up one of these in .308. 20" barrel, factory threaded with a proper fitted end cap in stainless steel.

I haven't shot it yet, and it will be going through the usual meticulous run in process, but it is extremely well put together, and the laminate stock is just beautiful. The trigger is excellent, and it comes with a set trigger position as standard, which is going to be just the job for range days.

I had worried that it might be too heavy for stalking when fitted with a compact T8, Harris and scope, but it isn't. Any rifle with all that kit on is going to weigh a bit.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks. It is wearing a Leupold LRT M1 6.5-20x50.
    sounds nice mate. sako are screwcutting all there factory rifles now ive heard ? should save a couple of bob

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    sako are screwcutting all there factory rifles now ive heard ? should save a couple of bob

only the MT versions with the shortened barrel at 20". Not only saves a few bob, but you know its done right.

Got one in .243, you will not be disappointed
    Mine is dressed in a Leupold VX-L and a Wildcat mod

Sounds nice, post some pictures if you can!

Will do.
    Most aesthetically pleasing gun I've ever owned. 686 AF S&W .357 came close second.

bolted.

i have the same in .243 the rifle looks and shoots like a dream. i have managed sub 1/2" groups@200m with some ammo and sub 1"@300m .

i dont target shoot only hunt, and now and then go into the field and drill a few targets.

everything about the rifle oozes quality....neil

Just back from hols, so a morning at Bisley running it in coming up soon, followed by some very,very unlucky foxes. Pleased to hear about your groups. Looking forward to getting going on the handloads.

Saw loads of chamois whilst skiing. One spectacular place to take long range shots. Shame about the avalanche risk.

what are these like at 1000 yards

Had first shoot of the Sako with factory ammo(Federal Classic 308). Windy/rainy day and I was feeling decidedly ill . Cleaned after each shot. The standard trigger is fantastic, and the set trigger very light.
    Lucas bore guide very good and easy to use. Fit and finish of whole rifle is superb and worth the asking price.

Fired from a bipod off a bench, will do sandbag test once I have made some decent handloads. Groups just under the inch with a T8 on , and shots touching with it off (at 100yds). Stalking next weekend, so will see what the weight issue is like.

First roebuck with it. Did a quick zero check first. 3 shots in to 1/2" at 100yds. Carried it for about 3.5 miles- no probs at all- what a brilliant bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    bolted.

everything about the rifle oozes quality....neil

Totally agree, beautiful rifle

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c...view=slideshow

Martin