Thread: windage

windage

Hi All,
    Does anyone know where I can get information of the effects of wind on pellets, what happens when the wind comes from in front of you or behind?

Ken

Queens_Own

Try page 31 of the BFTA Technical Skills Manual:

http://www.millrideftc.co.uk/Guides

Have fun. I have been trying for years to defeat the wind but have yet to manage it. However, the above should help.

Quote Originally Posted by queens_own View Post
    … what happens when the wind comes from in front of you or behind?
    If the wind is blowing from behind then it has the effect of slightly increasing the apparent muzzle velocity. This, in turn, has the effect of slightly increasing the zeroed range such that the POI is increased beyond the zero range and lowered before it.
    If the wind is blowing towards you then the muzzle velocity/zero range are slightly decreased and the POIs are decreased/increased for ranges beyond and before the zero range respectively.
    Having said all of that, the actual changes in zero range and POI are generally very small (depending on the BC of the pellet) and can usually be ignored.

HTH
    Dave
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

from behind?

If you experience a behind wind, desisit from curry the night before, other wise, av a butchers here:
    http://www.airgunexpo.com/calc/calc_....cfm?action=00
    Philgunner01 Steyr LG 110 Leup 20 x 50 HW 97

Thanks Guys

Hi to you all and thank you for replying,
    I checked the Technical Skills section of the BFTA manual and it seemed to contadict what was happening when I shot into a high wind, my shots seemed to be hitting in front of the targets with the head wind! see Harry's Lad comments which confimed what happened to my shots.
    The airgunexpo was very good but didn't show any drop or rise of pellets in wind from the front or rear!
    And as for the cat on my head! it kept my ears warm and didn't crap on my head, what more can one ask for?
    Ken