Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pistol competition

March over

Just to remind everyone, from the first thread..

Standard 10m nsra pistol targets as before, shot at 10m.
    5 shots per card on 4 cards, total 20 shots, 4 cards per month for 6 months, scores to be submitted before the 25th of each month.
    Max 20 warm up shots before shooting all cards one after the other, no breaks.
    Honesty a virtue as always
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Oops, forgot to put these in

March

10 9 9 8 8 = 44
    9 9 8 8 8 = 42
    9 9 8 8 8 = 42
    10 9 9 9 9 = 46

Total 174

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Oh Dilemma....

Up till now I have allowed a minor transgression of the rule regarding the deadline for score submission, however I feel I must now enforce that rule.
    Had the scores not been so close between three of the entrants it might not have been such a tricky situation.
    Whilst wanting to keep it a friendly competition it is also only fair to those that have abided by the rules.
    To add further complication would be that a transgressor was up against a non transgressor in this case, but that is not the case.

Of the top two in the competition at present both, I believe, have been allowed a late score entry in the early stages. Which at this point puts both competitors on a level playing field having had the same leniency.
    So I feel at this point I must disallow Snooper's score for March.
    It is not an easy decision and has had me mulling it over a lot, I am not happy at having to do it. The situation being as it is though I feel it is the only fair way to do it.

Sorry Snooper,
    Regards
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by pollythedog View Post
    Up till now I have allowed a minor transgression of the rule regarding the deadline for score submission, however I feel I must now enforce that rule.
    Had the scores not been so close between three of the entrants it might not have been such a tricky situation.
    Whilst wanting to keep it a friendly competition it is also only fair to those that have abided by the rules.
    To add further complication would be that a transgressor was up against a non transgressor in this case, but that is not the case.

Of the top two in the competition at present both, I believe, have been allowed a late score entry in the early stages. Which at this point puts both competitors on a level playing field having had the same leniency.
    So I feel at this point I must disallow Snooper's score for March.
    It is not an easy decision and has had me mulling it over a lot, I am not happy at having to do it. The situation being as it is though I feel it is the only fair way to do it.

Sorry Snooper,
    Regards
    Graeme
    Scrub my total score then.
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!

For what it's worth, I feel Graeme (Pollythedog) has made the right decision. Even a 'friendly' competition is still a competition and rules are rules.

With holidays and major work on the house, I've not even had chance to touch a pistol in two months. I'm gutted because I'm itching to shoot again and I was improving and wasn't doing too bad in the comp. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out and I'll accept my 'zero' scores still submit in the future just to measure myself against others.

Thanks for organising this Graeme

cheers
    Matt

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste
    Rules are rules,but as one with a "competitive" score I would not like to see anyone excluded for a minor submission error; after all this is just a bit of freindly fun with the added spice of a prize.
    Let`s not get too intense about this.
    OK, I`ve said my piece,John
    Laudator temporis acti

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Scrub my total score then.
    Do you really want to do that?
    With two rounds still to go and no one being able to predict the future, maybe other entrants will not submit a score for either of those months. It is a possibility.

Like I said I am not happy about the situation and I had even considered that the other competitors might say to let the scores stand, but unless they do so in unison then I cannot make the assumption that all would be agreed to do so.

I have learnt from the experience of running this that if I do another one the rules will need to be strictly enforced from the start, although I intend to make it a best 5 of 6 competition thus allowing a round to be missed if needed.
    regards

Graeme
    Last edited by pollythedog; 27-03-2008 at 12:09 PM.

What do the others with a competitive score think?
    Laudator temporis acti

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

I have learnt from the experience of running this that if I do another one the rules will need to be strictly enforced from the start, although I intend to make it a best 5 of 6 competition thus allowing a round to be missed if needed.
    regards

Graeme
    This is the best way, on both counts, Graeme.

And I DO hope these comps will continue.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it matters what other competitors think (regardless of their scores). I wouldn't think of going to a nationally organised competition late and ask that they change the rules to suit me and let me shoot because I was doing quite well in the rankings. Same applies here.

This comp has been run in an easy going, relaxed way but once you start trying to change the rules by democracy while the comp is running, it will rapidly turn pear shaped.

One person in charge - no debate (in my humble opinion).

cheers

Matt

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    I really hope he changes his mind and sees it through to the end of the comp. Nothing to say that something won't happen to thee (pagoda) or me in the next two rounds to knock either or both of us out.

Do like Graeme's suggestion that next time it's a best 5 out of 6.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Very true!
    Laudator temporis acti

Late scores

Hi Graeme
    Apologies from both Pete and myself for missing the March deadline.

Having organised many competitions myself in the past, I am sure you are doing the right thing by applying the rules.

We will get our fingers out and shoot the April cards in good time.

Keep up the good work

John
    hold me back !!

Do you really want to do that?
    With two rounds still to go and no one being able to predict the future, maybe other entrants will not submit a score for either of those months. It is a possibility.

Like I said I am not happy about the situation and I had even considered that the other competitors might say to let the scores stand, but unless they do so in unison then I cannot make the assumption that all would be agreed to do so.

regards

Graeme
    Leave it for the moment

My problem is that I sometimes don't know what day of the week it is, let alone the date. Comes from working what they used to call 'Irregular hours' and now call 'unpredictability' for almost 30 years. I sometimes pick up the phone at work and know which truck I'm working in but can't remember where I am in the country. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night for a piss and not knowing where the bathroom is My mate did this one night and ended up having to go to reception in the hotel naked He had gone out of the hotel room into the corridor. Another did the same thing but forced the door to his room and then got booted out next morning.

Things are starting to get busy again at work so the next 2 may be difficult anyway.

Cheers

John

Just been reading the last few posts about late scoresI'm afraid I am guilty of this due to work commitments and crapy weather to not allow to shoot until todayso it looks like mine won't count for this monthOh well there is always next month and try to get it in before the deadline
    Keep smiling