Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pistol competition

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    Bit pre-emptive, but if my ruler was the right length for the Mk 2 10 metre target in last post, then attached is a 2 bull version for use at 6 YARDS.

The 2 ring on this measures 97mm i.e. 53.9% of the 10M version. That's what my calculator told me was the difference between 10M and 6 yards.

For me, this is perfect for the living room, without having to encroach on the kitchen and increase risk of clipping door frame on the way through

Biggles

Biggles
    This target you are referring to is not the standard NSRA 6 yard target

There have been 3 different 6 yard targets used in competition over the past 30 years and the current one used in NSRA competitions which has superceeded the previous 2 (easier ones) is called the AIR 8 Target

It has been used since 1980 in NSRA run air pistol 6 yard competitions in the UK

The diameter of the 1 ring is 83 mm
    The diameter of the 2 ring is 74 mm
    The diameter of the 7 ring is 31mm
    The diameter of the bull is 4.5mm

This target also has a Zero ring which is 92 mm in diameter

This target is a scaled down version of the 10M target and most shooters will get similar scores at both 10M and 6yds using the appropriate targets

I would guess that the target you have described may be based on the dimensions of the 1970's NARPA cards. NARPA dissappeared back in the 1980's
    I hope this helps.
    Unfortunately I have only seen 1 source for purchasing these 6 yard cards and that of course is the NSRA
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I wish I could be doing so abysmally bad with my Beeman, The BEST card I ever shot was 37/50; TYPICAL card is far worse.

Jim
    Keep at it Jim and it will click in place, especially with a pneumatic. My PB with a Daisy 717 was 88/100 and with the Alfa it's 95. These are single cards though, not averages. It's a shock to the system going back to a (modest) springer, but satisfying if and when it works!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)

Final attempt .....

... but which I reckon was worth it as it should remove any doubt we're all using the same sizes, at least within tolerances that make it insignificant.

Looks as though NSRA adopted the ISSF 'standard', but there are otherwise enough variations out there, including some which may be defunct, but you'd bet remain lying around in dim dark corners of cupboards.

Attached is my final attempt to satisfy, so has three options:

1 & 2 : two 10M editions - one with a single target out to the 1 ring and one with 4 bulls on a page for the brave souls who are confident they can hit 5+ every shot

and

3 : a single page with 4 full targets, but scaled down for shooting at 6 YARDS.

Before anyone says anything, the 4x10M sheet bulls LOOK bigger compared with the single. It's an illusion!

All the best

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Good!

Tres bien!

My kind of a pistol competition, where "one hand" and "open sights", go without saying!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

4 off 5 shot cards @ 10m with a springer.

I`m up for this when all the niceties are settled. I`ve dusted off the FWB 90 and on a trial run I`ve managed:-

Card 1 Card 2 Card 3 Card 4
    43 45 37 42 167/200 total using R10 4.49x7.7grn.

Card 3 was a disaster; must do better.

Count me in!

Me too! In the meantime I shot a couple of the "6 Yard" targets for practice:

40, 35, 31, 33.

Not so good for a lot of shooters, but very good for me.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Hi Graeme,

Add me to the list please, I'll use something different on this comp and leave the Compact for it's own comp

I have a choice of a few though, HW45, Webley Huricane and a Beeman 2003. I'll do some tests to see which is best.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Hi John
    the more the merrier,
    just added you to the scoreboard list.

cheers
    G
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Go on then, stick me in too, I will use my new Camo Compact. No idea what pellets yet as I haven't put one through the gun yet.

Ive got off to a rather bad start in the competition. Im shooting outside in the garden so have to wait for more favourable conditions being as its blowing half a hooligan across Anglesey this last week or so. Anyway I decided to have a go and started with a warm up session. First five shots at the target I only shot myself, luckily it was a bounce back that caught me just above my waist and not on unprotected flesh!!! On close examination Id hit a large knot on the 2" thick plank Id attached the target to. I have now modified the way Im mounting the target by including several layers of cardboard between the target and the timber back stop so that wont happen again. Anyway I then settled down to my second set of warm up shots, I got three shots into the taget and it starting to really lash it down with rain, the ink on the target isnt waterproof and is now running down the target.

Thankfully there are still 21 days left to complete the shoot.

Wet Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    I got three shots into the taget and it starting to really lash it down with rain, the ink on the target isnt waterproof and is now running down the target.

Thankfully there are still 21 days left to complete the shoot.

Wet Roy

You really should have got that on video! Just spat guinness all over the keyboard reading that
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Thats not all Graeme. I had just bought a tin of RWS superdomes and a tin of Daystates plus the original tin of Crossman Matchpells all of which were open on the lawn so I could try to find the best pellet for the HW45. I finished up with a p**s wet through foam lined case, wet HW45, a droopy target and 1500 assorted pellets swimming round in metal tins and not forgetting my glasses steamed up!!!!

I havnt got to the Daystates yet but I did notice the RWS superdomes are a much tighter fit in the bore than the Crossmans so I must remember to use a seating probe.

BTW a video would have been X rated
    Roy

Ace!

I've just agreed to by an FAS 604 (single stroke pneumatic) - is that a legal gun for this comp? Failing that it's the trusty Hurricane (although it's a .22 and I dread to think what my scores would be like)

cheers

Matt

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Ace!

I've just agreed to by an FAS 604 (single stroke pneumatic) - is that a legal gun for this comp? Failing that it's the trusty Hurricane (although it's a .22 and I dread to think what my scores would be like)

cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt

I'm sure that Graeme will reply later to confirm this but my understanding is that your FAS would be OK. Only type of pistol specifically EXCLUDED is pre-charge/PCP. Rules otherwise very simple - iron sights, single handed and unsupported at either 10 meters or 6 yards, using NSRA targets or those in my earlier post (#33). Oh, and hope you can find an alternate to shooting outdoors in the rain and gales

Biggles (who had to buy a new target holder today so will now be getting down to some concerted practice)
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Are we set?

HAVE we finalized the rules, then? I thought we were still deciding on the target?

Jim