Thread: Xmas Present- CO2 Pistol

Xmas Present- CO2 Pistol

Hi there

Xmas is approaching and my 20 year old brother has been banging on about getting a pistol for ages just to use for target practice.

We have a garden thats about 13m long and we have a 1.5inch thick 1.5mx1.5m chipboard backboard hooked to wire fencing which backs onto some forestry and has a pellet trap attatched to it with some carpet covering it to dampen the noise.

So yer basically we have the 'target range' as such but I just need advice on a place and a product to buy.

I need to know what is the most accurate CO2 pistol ideal for doing some light hearted shooting in my garden for around £80 or so? He loves james bond and I head the Walthers are good so I thought this would be ideal!?

So if anyone has any suggestions of where and what to buy as like a little package I would be very greatful.

Thanks
    Morbz

For £80, a good second hand Umarex Smith & Wesson 6". If buying new, shop around if possible because prices vary between £120 and £180 for the same thing!!!

Put a "wanted" ad. on this forum; S & Ws crop up fairly frequently.

EDIT: If you are interested in target, as opposed to plinking, why not forget the CO2 and go for a S/H Gamo Compact target pistol. One hole at 10m and good enough to take you well up in club level comps.
    Last edited by derekm; 01-12-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How noisy?

Derek, how noisy of a gun is that S&W? That's certainly a consideration for the backyard! I've been thinking about getting one, but am leery about the blast a CO2 pistol might make.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim, They give off a reasonable crack, but I imagine that Louisiana back yards are somewhat bigger than what we are used to, so shouldn't be a problem for next door. Far less crack than a .22lr. Silencers are available here I believe, but you guys have some funny laws about them, don't you? You won't regret getting one; light and smooth trigger even on double action and quite accurate for a sporting pistol. Make sure you go for the Umarex though as I believe the Gamo, Crosman and Daisys are all plasticky and lightweight. The Umarex feels like the real thing, but without the recoil!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Maybe...

My yard's not really that big: though it's very pretty, and was the main reason we bought this particular house last December!

I mount my targets on an old styrofoam picnic chest that's stuffed with discarded paper targets, broken plastic flower pots, and other debris, and place it on a bench.

I can go about thirteen paces before running into some bushes planted next to my house.

The yard is surrounded with a wooden fence and on one side, neighbor's bushes. The neighbors can't see me but I'm sure they can hear the sound of the Beeman! There's a vacant house in the back: when that becomes occupied I'm sure I'll have to start facing the other way when I shoot.

Silencers for FIREARMS are VERY rigidly controlled in the US! (I have never seen a silencer, or known anyone who told me that he owned one.) However, air guns, like black powder guns, are legally NOT "firearms" here under federal law. It's debatable whether a silencer built onto an airgun, or one that was detachable but would not fit a cartridge gun, fits the legal definition of "silencer" under federal law. My gut reaction is that is does not: but one day I'm going to get up the motivation to start researching this issue!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

S & W.

Another vote for a 6" Smith & Wesson. The additional plastic moderator will deaden the "crack" a little, but it's not that brilliant.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Muzzle light?

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post

EDIT: If you are interested in target, as opposed to plinking, why not forget the CO2 and go for a S/H Gamo Compact target pistol. One hole at 10m and good enough to take you well up in club level comps.
    Derek, one thing that worries me about the Gamo: does it feel too light? Especially in the muzzle?

My Beeman does: in my next pistol, I'd welcome a little more weight and more muzzle length.

Jim

Jim, if you find the muzzle too light on the Gamo, you can add some weight in the hollow space under the muzzle, fixing it with Blu Tack or double sided tape. I've seen a pictorial post about it but can't find the link.

Hi again thanks for the replies

Can i ask what an S/H Gamo Compact is? Can i have some websites too where i can start with these airguns?

Will a CO2 be no good for 10m? Will it be very loud?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by morbz View Post
    Hi again thanks for the replies

Can i ask what an S/H Gamo Compact is? Can i have some websites too where i can start with these airguns?

Will a CO2 be no good for 10m? Will it be very loud?

Cheers
    Gamo Compact is a single stroke pneumatic target pistol. S/H is second hand.
    Google will get you lots of sites.
    CO2 replica sports pistols will be no use for even semi-serious 10m work. The S & W is an accurate plinking gun.
    CO2 is louder than a pneumatic, but IMO not excessively so.