Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imprvd. Model D - one of my better shots.

Imprvd. Model D - one of my better shots.

Yesterday I decided to have a change from my normal HFT gun and took my 1914 BSA Improved Model D (.177) up to the gun club instead of my Steyr.
    It took me several attempts but I shot and dropped a 25mm kill zone target, standing, at a measured 44 yards with OPEN SIGHTS !!!
    Several members had a go with this rifle and enjoyed the experience to the extent that Im sure at least one of them will appear at the gun club soon with a similar model sourced from a local gunshop.
    It just goes to prove that you dont have to have to the latest, greatest and expensive wonder gun to enjoy yourself at our sport.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...

Wink

Now that`s just what I love to hear, well done.....Sparko...X

That flat-headed, six-toed, tripe-muncher I. J speaks the truth.

Shooting a vintage air rifle with open sights can be as much fun as shooting any of the modern high-end stuff.

Should be more shoots for vintage air rifles i say.
    JJJJJJ

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Should be more shoots for vintage air rifles i say.
    JJJJJJ
    The trouble is then people would start getting competitive and you would get the ludicrous situation of 'vintage' rifles appearing with Leupold scopes, hamsters, butt hooks etc. attached. What would you class as 'vintage' ? How could you date them accurately?

If your rifle is legal and safe, and I'm sure it is, just turn up and shoot against the latest wonder guns. You've got nothing to loose and it keeps them on their toes.

ATB
    Ian

It would have to be open sights, a cut off date, most air rifles can be dated by there number witch can be found in a book like hilliers, cant see it being a problem.
    JJJJJJ

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I love using my Webley MKIII with it's open sights. There's no way a scope will ever go anywhere near it, fortunately the temptation is totally negated by the distinct lack of rail and my unwillingness to butcher it. Sadly it's not quite old enough to qualify as vintage for most of the vintage gun shoots I've heard about. It does put in fairly regular appearances on plinking ranges round the country at UKAHFT shoots.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    It would have to be open sights, a cut off date, most air rifles can be dated by there number witch can be found in a book like
    hilliers, cant see it being a problem.
    JJJJJJ
    Open sights, standard or peep, would be a good idea.

What is the exact date for Vintage air rifles?

Dating post 1960s Originals isn't a problem and BSAs can usually be dated to within a few years but I still feel it would be difficult to date many other manufacturers rifles exactly. For example: BSF - you can only tell by the back sight (if fitted) wether its pre or post 1978. Weihrauch - you would have to contact the factory for an accurate dating. There are several other manufacturers (Falke, Haenel, even Webley) who, while in most instances give their individual rifles a serial number isn't of any use when trying to date them exactly.
    I also own a few rifles that dont even appear in Dennis Hillers books.

Why not just turn up with a pocket full of suitable () pellets and throw some lead towards a target? Let the professionals worry whether they hit it or not.

ATB
    Ian

The Problem With Open Sight Come/s In With Your Age.

Loved The Williams Peep Sights, And The Webley Mk11 Was Awsome For Accuracy Iff Not Power.

Cannot See The Open Sights To Shoot Now So Have To Use The Telescopic.

But Must Aggree A Vintage Shoot Would Go Down Well . John
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    The Problem With Open Sight Come/s In With Your Age.

Loved The Williams Peep Sights, And The Webley Mk11 Was Awsome For Accuracy Iff Not Power.

Cannot See The Open Sights To Shoot Now So Have To Use The Telescopic.

But Must Aggree A Vintage Shoot Would Go Down Well . John
    We cater for the shooter with failing eyesight who wants to shoot in our vintage competitions at Rivington by having a no more than 4x scope section in our winter pentathlon competitions.
    The competition consists of a shoot with an open sight springer (classic), no more than 4x mag scope springer, standing shot (any rifle with or without scope), 10 metre pistol, and 10 metre match target rifle.
    Great fun, and due to start any time now I think.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
    Great fun, and due to start any time now I think.
    Bob
    Dates for these events next year will be decided by the membership at the clubs AGM on the 5th Dec.

These events are great fun and like Bob states, for those, like me who struggle with open sights, we have a x4 max scope class.

ATB
    Ian

how about vintage shooters????.

anyone over 70 comes under vets, will cut out a lot of the competition for me.
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    how about vintage shooters????.

anyone over 70 comes under vets, will cut out a lot of the competition for me.
    I dunno about that! Theres a few club members that would qualify due to their age and several more younger ones that would qualify due to their attitude.

ATB
    Ian

Vintage Rifles

Well done Ian! 25mm @ 44yds is not just the stuff of legend, they really can be that acurate!
    It's good to see more people enjoying the world of vintage guns, we have a big following at our club (Bisley) on a Wednesday night (see Airgunner Nov. issue) and it's amazing how much interest it attracts from visitors of all ages, from those who remember 'using them as a lad' to the youngsters who are mistified they even worked!
    Our comps. are restricted to pre WW2 (1939) rifles, and there's always something new (to the collection) on show. We all try to maintain our guns to a usable standard so they can be used and enjoyed.
    If anyones interested please feel free to pop along any Wednesday from about 6pm 'til 10pm for a go/chat/laugh whatever it's fun!
    ATB Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
    It's good to see more people enjoying the world of vintage guns, we have a big following at our club (Bisley) on a Wednesday night (see Airgunner Nov. issue) and it's amazing how much interest it attracts from visitors of all ages, from those who remember 'using them as a lad' to the youngsters who are mistified they even worked!

ATB Paul.
    So very true. A couple of our club members on Sunday thought there was something missing from my BSA because it doesn't have any fore end woodwork.

Pity your so far away Paul because I, and Im sure a few other club members would love to take part in one of your Vintage Airgun shoots.

ATB
    Ian