Thread: Pistol petition

Pistol petition

Anyone else had the response from the government about the pistol petition?

Here is what I have just been sent:

While the Government has no plans to relax the handgun ban, Home Office Ministers have recently agreed to look at whether it might be possible to put in place arrangements to allow a small number of potential medal winners to practise in Great Britain in advance of the 2012 Games. They will have further meetings with interested parties to discuss how this can be best achieved. Any such arrangements will need to take into account allowing competitors sufficient time to carry out training prior to the 2012 Olympics, while ensuring that public safety is not put at risk.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE CROCK

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Should be loads of us receiving the e-mail announcement of the reply.

I looked at the wording before spotting your comment and cannot say that my reaction was quite so negative.

Just my opinion, of course and, sure, it's not what we would have wished for; but more than I had expected. The interesting thing will be to see how they define 'small' (as in the number of people who may be able to practice) and 'potential' (medal winners).

After all, I guess I could argue that - given full sponsorship and the next couple of years off work to practice under professional coaching - I am a potential medalist. And, heck, in my household, there's only one of me - that's a 'small number'.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

that

will be a no then

Hmmm.... How can you show potential without being able to shoot a pistol as to own one and use it in the UK is illegal.

Have to be a member of the forces I suppose. But will the MoD be able to spare any one to compete???

I got the email as well. Thought it was total c++p too. While I can understand the need for added control with handguns I cant see the need to ban them. The only people it affects is law abiding gun owners. If they made it legal but the gun has to stay on club premises would make sense.
    However There is a total lack of border control in this country, which results in guns being brought in by criminals from European countrys. If the the government ever wants to resolve gun crime they need to lock down better. Any how I ramble on It just looks like I will continue to go to the good old USA once a year and spend two weeks knee deep in brass with a Desert Eagle .50