Thread: What is the short / long cut off

What is the short / long cut off

IE: what distance is deemed to be Long range with 12ftlbs springer shooting is any thing over 35 yds considered long range????????????
    Longbow .22 , S410k .22.BSA Airsporter .22

Personally I would say anything over 60 yards is proper long range, yet every person will have a different idea of what they thing long is.

Garrick

Mick C Guest
    well i think anything over 30 yrds is long but maybe thats because i have only just started

I think of long range shooting with legal limit air rifles as being anything in excess of the maximum possible hunting distance i.e. anything over 50 yards.

That way you know you're into pure target shooting and you are beyond clouding your head with thinking is this a possible live target shot? Once you get out of that frame of mind you tend to relax a bit - the pressure is off, you're only shooting paper and that doesn't mind if you skank one!

My personal goal!
    Is 100yard sub 1"
    But getting a still day when i can get out as well is proving a nightmare!!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    My personal goal!
    Is 100yard sub 1"
    But getting a still day when i can get out as well is proving a nightmare!!

I'm with you there buddy, I'd love to get in under that magic inch but it is a mighty hard task

Is 'inaccuracy' linear? If you are 1" at 50, will you be 2" at 100 with no wind? Or are there other factors to open a group as distance increases?

I think the answer is no, because: as the bullet slows down it loses stability and will be more prone to wiggle of somewhere else than its theoretical trajectory.

At least my groups are opening up allot at long distance
    Career Infinity .25 - Leapers 3-12X44
    HW45 .177
    FX Verminator .22

no inaccuracy is not linear, it rises exponentially. an inch group at 50 will more likely get you 3" at 100. a 1/2" group at 50 will probably get you 1.5" in still conditions however i learned that in this kind of shooting you usually dial in for a condition, then depending on the highest and lowest variables of the wind you either hold abit left or abit right. that's how i usually manage to get some shots really close to each other. waiting for the exact condition doesn't work as often as one immagines.

if a 3mph wind drifts the pellet 6 inches at 100 and a 5mph drifts it 9inches, then dial for a 4mph wind which might be about 7.5MOA then hold 1MOA left or 1MOA right for windage. that is why it is important to have the reticle and turrets in same UNITS as i always hammer about.
    It has to come to a point eventually where without having to work out many computations, you say "its a 3MOA wind" rather than goin through the whole process of working the correction for wind drift. people who have been doing this shooting for many years can tell you right away by looking through their spotting scope, how many MOA of correction you need.

Quote Originally Posted by remorem2jh@supanet.com View Post
    IE: what distance is deemed to be Long range with 12ftlbs springer shooting is any thing over 35 yds considered long range????????????
    Generally its considered that 40 -45 yds is about the max range for hunting ,also H.F.T. only set targets to about 45yds max so i'd reckon anything over 50 yds would be long range. Seems a bloody long way to me any how

In my opinion, I would deem anything over 40yds as long range & anything over 55yds seriously long range but that's just me. A rifle of any type is only as good as the person using it. If you are hunting however, long range would be the pinnacle distance of your ability to achieve a clean kill & no matter how good a shot you are, you never break that distance.