Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - initial investigations

100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - initial investigations

I finally got around to doing a bit of woodland clearance today and I managed to clear enough of a corridor to get a target out at 100 yards. I hadn't really intended doing any shooting as it was quite a blustery day but when I had the target measured out, it got my juices flowing!

I thought I'd fire off a few pellets and get a feel for the distance and also experiment with the dialing method that I'd resolved to use for the new distance. I've been shooting long range at 70 yards with a 10X scope and I thought I'd need a bit more mag for the 100 yard stuff. The only available scope I had that had more mag was a Bushnell Banner 6-24X40. Not the best optics but clear enough and the turrets were nice and crisp and returned zero perfectly after they had been dialled.

I wasn't expecting great results as the wind was unpredicatable, it was late in the day light-wise and I was quite tired. To be fair, I didn't get great results but, in view of the conditions, the results were very encouraging.

After shooting twenty or so pellets, I got a feel for the distance and dialled in my adjustments to the Chairgun figures I was using, to compensate for the conditions.

This was the best of the three groups of ten that I shot. The first two shots missed completely and I had to dial more adjustment. The five 'scoring' shots all then landed nicely with the last one dropping low. The photos are not great but you can see that the five shot scoring strings is about 43mm c-to-c.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0001.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0002.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0004.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0003.jpg

I'm looking forward to good weather now as I know that real results are achievable at this distance with legal limit springers. I don't know how tight I'll be able to group at 100 yards but I know I can improve on this considerably given still air and a bit of sun.

Gun, pellets, modus operanti are all the same as my 70 yard shooting post - only difference is the change of scope and mounts.

Fookin ell, that looks good enough for me! Wot gun, chap?
    Navybloke
    "A worm on one end, a fool on the other"

MAD MARK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by navybloke View Post
    YEP I AGREE THATS FANTASTIC SHOOTING THAT WITH 12FP MATE.GOOD ON YA
    Last edited by MAD MARK; 09-12-2007 at 01:14 PM.

If your getting good results at 100 yards with a C==P springer. Bin off the air rifles and get a good target gun .223 or .308 and get down the range !!! enter all the comps you can. I would if i could hit a 2p sized target with a sub 12fpe at 100 yards

Bloody hell! That good shooting How much is the pellet drop at 100yds
    In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory. -Adolf Hitler

Thumbs up

well done mate! keep it coming so more and more people will start getting into this! shall i hand you over my 57ft/lb sweety?

try 3 shot groups on each target, they look better

Billy the kid Guest

nice shooting

thats not bad mate you will find the more you practice the better you will get but i would be happy with that for my first atempt

Billy the kid Guest

Smile Good shot

that`s good shooting mate,i would be happy with that for a first attempt, u will find the more u practice, the better u will get.

Nice shooting with a 12ftlb air rifle! Puts me in mind of the Leslie Williams Trophy competition, shooting .22rf's out to 200yds. Needs @ 27moa I believe..

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    If your getting good results at 100 yards with a C==P springer. Bin off the air rifles and get a good target gun .223 or .308 and get down the range !!! enter all the comps you can. I would if i could hit a 2p sized target with a sub 12fpe at 100 yards
    Your insulting springers on a site dedicated to air rifles.
    Nice way to make friends.

Nice shooting, thats about what I can do at 40 yards
    What was you resting on?

Very good!!
    Like to see more!!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by navybloke View Post

Laza glided hw97 ,gnib stock.

Good shooting davey K i want to try some 100 yd one day.I dont usually dial in but at that distance i will run out of dots.
    Last edited by remorem2jh@supanet.com; 09-12-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: More info added
    Longbow .22 , S410k .22.BSA Airsporter .22

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by icarusyankee625 View Post
    Nice shooting with a 12ftlb air rifle! Puts me in mind of the Leslie Williams Trophy competition, shooting .22rf's out to 200yds. Needs @ 27moa I believe..
    youre' correct, according to my data book it requires 25MOA at 1170ft/s muzzle velocity. 300ft altitude, 20deg Celcius. slight difference could be to scope exact click value or these parameters.

btw what is the leslie williams trophy competition..? sounds like my kind of thing...

Thanks for the feedback guys

According to Chairgun the drop from the 35 yard zero is 43 inches

Interestingly, the pellet still has 3.6 ft lb of power when it arrives at the target, hence the stability is still good and the pellets punch nice and straight into the target.

I was resting on a very stinky old camo net that I balled up a bit - sounds heath robinson but you want something that you can 'mould' a bit - anything too solid will take the vibrations from the gun and amplify them.

Really looking forward to my next session on a still day and really hoping that I can make meaningful progress toward that magic inch!!

What pellets were you using? We only get nice cut holes when using flatheads, using JSB Exacts or H & N Diablos, the pellets leave very ragged holes compared to yours, even at 25m