Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - initial investigations

Nice shooting, I remember taking standing shots on knock downs at about 60 yards with my HW77 at Tawd vale, I did it twice in a row then retired gracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    What pellets were you using? We only get nice cut holes when using flatheads, using JSB Exacts or H & N Diablos, the pellets leave very ragged holes compared to yours, even at 25m
    JSB Exacts mate - the targets are on nice heavy duty card, this seems to help.

It's amazing that you actually got clean holes in the paper at that range with a

Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    I finally got around to doing a bit of woodland clearance today and I managed to clear enough of a corridor to get a target out at 100 yards. I hadn't really intended doing any shooting as it was quite a blustery day but when I had the target measured out, it got my juices flowing!

I thought I'd fire off a few pellets and get a feel for the distance and also experiment with the dialing method that I'd resolved to use for the new distance. I've been shooting long range at 70 yards with a 10X scope and I thought I'd need a bit more mag for the 100 yard stuff. The only available scope I had that had more mag was a Bushnell Banner 6-24X40. Not the best optics but clear enough and the turrets were nice and crisp and returned zero perfectly after they had been dialled.

I wasn't expecting great results as the wind was unpredicatable, it was late in the day light-wise and I was quite tired. To be fair, I didn't get great results but, in view of the conditions, the results were very encouraging.

After shooting twenty or so pellets, I got a feel for the distance and dialled in my adjustments to the Chairgun figures I was using, to compensate for the conditions.

This was the best of the three groups of ten that I shot. The first two shots missed completely and I had to dial more adjustment. The five 'scoring' shots all then landed nicely with the last one dropping low. The photos are not great but you can see that the five shot scoring strings is about 43mm c-to-c.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0001.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0002.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0004.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMAG0003.jpg

I'm looking forward to good weather now as I know that real results are achievable at this distance with legal limit springers. I don't know how tight I'll be able to group at 100 yards but I know I can improve on this considerably given still air and a bit of sun.

Gun, pellets, modus operanti are all the same as my 70 yard shooting post - only difference is the change of scope and mounts.
    non FAC rig...I figured the pellets would be wobbling bit at range as it loses spin...What pellets and rifle did you use?

A guy named Anthony from Tennesee, iirc, was getting close to moa groups at 100 yards with his tuned FAC RWS 94's in .177 and .22...

Regards,

Tony

Smile ratgunner

Whoa! glad I aint shooting against you Phew!

Springers are surprising! I was shooting at a 65 yarder, only for fun?

the sun was behind me a follow through delight as I walked my
    JSB exact 5.52's through that 25mm hole, down you go squirrel, BSA Lightning XL strikes again!

On a fun note me and Mick Snr use Crosman Co2 .22 Ratguns for fun guns and being competative were trying to outdo each other at 50 yards,
    the poor old duck targets at Kibworth Range were up and down like a Whores Knickers! though fair dues Mick Snr bested me in the end, there was much muttering from the Daystate Wa...Brigade,

We had a ball! air gun shooting is a real fun discipline,

Merry Christmas All, and a Happy And Christian New Year,
    For All Others May Your Particular God! Bless You.

richg101 Guest
    very nice shooting.

using my hw90 12fp i can consistantly hit coke cans at 100 meters (9 shots out of ten). i doubt id get those groups though

would be great to see how you do shooting with a field target fac!

Mick C Guest
    Good shooting. You can tell i am new to this as i thought my Wierach would run out of steam at anything more than the 25m that i have been shooting it at my new local club.

nice work mate keep it up.its also good to see the support from all the other mambers instead of ye ye 100 yards.bet you were buzzing with excitement..spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Nice shooting, I remember taking standing shots on knock downs at about 60 yards with my HW77 at Tawd vale, I did it twice in a row then retired gracefully
    I once hit a standard knockdown at 106yds (measured) offhand with my TX, first shot. I think the drop was about 5ft! Didn't get anywhere near it again though, even sitting!

Quote Originally Posted by rikmos View Post
    I once hit a standard knockdown at 106yds (measured) offhand with my TX, first shot. I think the drop was about 5ft! Didn't get anywhere near it again though, even sitting!
    There must have been a few folk with their gobs open after that!! That's when I would have put the gun back in it's case and gone for a brew!

There were a few, including the chap who'd set out the target to practice for the worlds in America that year! (He was using a Ripley at twenty something ft/lbs!). Wish I could claim it as skill but I doubt I'd get away with that, nice to get a fluke like that in front of witnesses for a change though!