Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank you Dowlings

I've had very good experiences with this shop and I haven't just been well served by the Dowlings - Neil has been brilliant as well.

By the way if you want a good laugh - ask Tom (senior) if he's going abroad on holiday this year and then stand back and brace yourself. Only ask this question if you have an hour to kill.

Lionel

Skimmer Guest
    I would concur that they are remarkable helpful when you are spending, but again, in line with not making a bad comment, I would not say what I thought of their aftersales service!

Any retailer will have people who rate them and those that dont for a whole host of reasons.

I am aware of most of the history between Tom jr and Burnham and my only comment is that the relationship between the two was long standing.

One may wish to ask oneself why the majority within a club will no longer deal with a retail outlet that relies so heavily upon a local community to support it.

These people are well respected shooters in the area and know what they want from a retailer and what they consider to be unacceptable.

It boils down to personal experience and individual choice and that is the way it should be.

Most of those who have posted above (both for and against) will not be aware of the history that led to the present position so are unable to comment in an informed way.

You can only base it upon your personal experiences.

If I were to start loosing customers, it would prompt me to reconsider what I was doing and to take action to redress the situation.

Why should any retail outlet not take the same approach. However, you could also ask what attitude/actions/history etc. caused such a reaction in the first place. Both are fair comments depending upon your perspectives.

As far as the shop is concerned, location is not so important as we are a minority sport and we will be more willing to travel to such outlets irrespective of normal distance expectations.

The shop is also well appointed and carries a good stock of equipment.

Re price - it's down to willing buyer and willing seller and one mans good value is another's overcharging.

Re service/knowledge/customer support etc. - as a generic rule to all suppliers, this is very much dependant upon the question being asked, the knowledge and skills of the person being asked and your ability to differentiate between sound and well reasoned advice and twaddle.

Those who remember Dave Allen (the irish comedian) will recall that he used to end his shows with the phrase "May your god go with you".

Well, if Dowlings is your god then fine, If it is Marsh tackle, well that's fine too. If it's JS Ramsbottom, SMK, Michael Tawn, Deben..You get my drift !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May your gods go with you (and give you £ 3.00 off and deliver it next day with a cup of coffee strong, milky 1 sugar)

:-)

RE the Dowlings and Burnham club relationship.

Any retail outlet like dowlings, marsh tackle, js ramsbottom etc will have customers who will sing their praises or never use them again for a wide range of reasons.

This is the way the world works and it boils down to personal preference at the end of the day.

With regards to the specific history between Burnham and Dowlings, this developed over a long period and those who have posted above either for or against will not have been aware of the developments and the history.

This means reasoned arguments cannot be presented and you can only rely upon your own personal experiences however narrow or broad they may be.

Any retail outlet needs to be aware of customer satisfaction and must react to developments that may arise in the course of dealing with those within the shooting community.

Everyone has the potential to loose the plot (so to speak) and the difference between one co and another is how they react to certain situations at a personal level and as a wider picture overall.

If a retail establishment has changed tack because of customer action/feedback then fair enough.

On the other hand, one might ask why the vast majority of a local shooting community have stopped using a local supplier. These are ordinary boys and girls just like you and me and dont necessarily have an axe to grind.

The bottom line is people are free to vote with their feet and that is the way it should be.

As for good value - well this is an open book isn't it. One mans good deal may be anothers overcharging ? It's a case for personal perception. Also, comments made in that direction may no longer be valid if the retail outlet has reviewed and changed there former practises.

As for good advice and knowledge. I would say that ones perception of these factors will depend on who is dispensing the good advice, the subject or items under discussion and ones personal ability to differentiate between what is really good advice or service and what is twaddle. This can be a very grey area indeed.

Another point to consider is that as shooting is a minority sport (you wont see john lewis opening up counters dedicated to air rifles etc) so people will undertake much longer journeys than they would for almost any other requirement they may have.

Also, if one looks at the two establishments mentioned above, both are in rural locations to keep rental or purchasing overheads down. You have to go and find them and they wont necessarily be in pristine positions or buildings. Lack of SatNav data is not restricted to gun shops is it - lets be fair and a paper map is always a good option.

In addition, Dowlings only deals with weapons and as the local club encompassed includes hunters, hunter comps and FT shooters you would expect them to have the products you want and an idea as to how they work and how to set them up.

If you wanted carp gear and the best advice how to catch them, Dowlings may not be your first point of call. It aint rocket science is it !

Conversely, Marshes is primarily a fishing outlet who are diversifying and developing a new arm in relation to air rifles. It is good to have a choice but please have the sense to realise that they are at different stages of development and apply some rationale accordingly.

Feel free to use who you want when you want for what you want.

If individuals clash - well that the way of the world.

I dont speak for Burnham OR Dowlings and the individuals are big and old enough to sort things out for themselves without airing their laundry in public.

Good shooting to you all

Sorry about the double posting guys. Didnt think my first one went thru. OOPS

Oh thanks for the offer of a lift, never got the message until today, work went BaLISTIC

C U tuesday & I have a bunny shot in Taplow if your interested!
    Last edited by nishikigoi; 10-09-2004 at 08:26 PM.

Cool

What can one say. People have their own opinions and are free to voice them. Your also free to accept or reject what is said.

Its good to see hypocrasy is alive and well and visiting seer green eh ?

Would be interested in the taplow bunny problem and is the offer of the NV still on ?

TTFN

Steyr

Skimmer Guest
    Would have to agree that pre-sales at Dowlings is all very friendly, but board rules restrict me from expressing my opinion on their aftersales service.