Thread: The League Against Cruel Sports.......

The League Against Cruel Sports.......

An item in the Times Educational Supplement of 14th Dec 2007 tells how target shooting has positive benefits for schools, teachers and pupils; at least that was the intent until the Times an anti-gun slant on it by getting a quote from the League Against Cruel Sports !!!

For example "There's not a shred of evidence that giving pupils access to guns makes them more responsible citizens." Which of course the LACS would know, being experts in education and shooting.....

SO - it's now clear - the LACS is anti ANY form of shooting - so they protect paper targets and clay pigeons as well.

See also - http://psa.bizhosting.com/whats_new.html
    Last edited by Mike2; 14-12-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling, wrong URL !

Fundamentalists exist in all walks of life.
    Beware of fundementalists for they know not the middle way
    It seems that no matter how we present shooting sports someone will always equate them with violence, subversion or general lawlessness.
    Now that reminds me of an anti-organisation just I read about
    The media always look for a good story and don't let the facts get in the way, the more they can stir up arguments the more copy they can sell.
    We can hopefully believe that the vast majority of citizens and government listen to reason.....sometimes
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
    For example "There's not a shred of evidence that giving pupils access to guns makes them more responsible citizens." Which of course the LACS would know, being experts in education and shooting.....

See also - http://psa.bizhosting.com/whats_new.html

I don't think that is true at all. If they become involved in the shooting sports I think that they will be in a category of the population that has a substantially lower chance of being convicted of a criminal offence than the average. I think this can be proved with stats too.

Thumbs up

Hsing-ee

don't let the facts get in the way
    from manxteddy

Says it all, but you might expect better from an educational supplement.

However, if we wnt to have acceptance, we must also work from the grass-roots upwards. The more pepole we encourage into our sport, and the more people we tell how great it is - the more chance they will argue our cause.

If there are enough people with knowledge of the shooting sports then attitudes will change - in fact, they ARE changing in the UK already, but we need to do MUCH more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
    This may well be a perfectly true statement, but it has been spun to suit LACS.

Equally true is the statement some time ago by a Minister of Transport, when asked by Chief Police Officers to increase the speed limit on motorways to 80mph
    "We have decided not to increase the speed limit, as it could produce an increase in accidents."
    It is equally correct to state that it could also cause a decrease in accidents, (which was the probable reason for the professionals to suggest the increase in the first place).

In the absence of a formal study, there will be no evidence, for or against anything, so these technically true statements, whilst giving a first glance impression of authority and knowledge, are totally worthless, except to the people applying the spin.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

A good come back

THE BEST COMEBACK LINE for 2007...

For those that don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an "Australian treasure!"

General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently. You'll love his reply to the lady who

interviewed him concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun laws

you gotta love this! This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of an ABC

interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a

Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:

Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended
    Designer of BASC Logo

Absolutely brilliant! We need more of this, because there is far too much one sided spin around, stating apparently true "facts".
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Thanks Derekm

Derekm,

Thanks for the compliment !

It was my wife Mary who addressed the All party group.

http://psa.bizhosting.com

No probs. Mike. I admit to verbally shooting from the hip, sometimes very impulsively, but I like to think I get it about right sometimes!

Hi Derekm
    Merry Christmas to you.
    How's the pistol shooting going ?
    I hope to get back to using my Aeron B96 over the holiday and have been think about getting a mount and reflex sight .
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Happy Christmas to you too, Graham.
    Pistol shooting is up & down! I was averaging 88/89 with the Alfa, then turned a few screws (as you do) and am now gradually working my way back up through 86!! Trying to get more proficient with the Baikal now, for this comp. It would be nice to be able to beat a couple of pneumatics with a wild springer!
    Last edited by derekm; 23-12-2007 at 12:36 PM.