Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley/Beeman C1

steiner Guest

Smile Webley/Beeman C1

I`ve just come into possession of a C1 in 0.22 , bluing is about 90%+ , the stock`s got a few scratches and dings.Mechanically it is very sound ,lock up at the pivot point is very solid , you have to tap it to break the gun and it seems to have decent power.

Can anyone give me info on this gat , what power, spares ,pellet preference....

All donations gratefully received!!

Thanks

Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steiner; 26-12-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    What was the webley designiton of these? Despite having a copy of the 'Blue Book' the Beeman insistance on renaming everything confuses me utterly.

steiner Guest
    ogilkes ;I think it`s based on the Vulcan , but I could be wrong (GATMAN ,cheers for the link!)

Kenny.

It was based on the Excel, well the one I saw was

Garrick

C1

I have a C1 in .177 and its a webley vulcan with shotgun style woodwork
    made for beeman in usa mine is very close to 12ft in power

It is a Mk.1 'Vulcan' in all but name and stock.
    Personally, I like the shotgun style stock.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 22-12-2007 at 01:07 AM.

Its a vulcan in a straight stock with a short barrel AFAIK

More airguns should be stocked like that

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

steiner Guest
    Here`s a photo of the C1, I picked up ,I`ve since found out that is based on the Vulcan and mine`s is quite an early one ,cos it doesn`t have a safety catch ,later ones did and had a better, curved trigger blade instead of the straight one on this rifle.

Take care

Kenny

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The C1 is a short-barrelled, straight-handed carbine version of the Webley Victor. The Webley Victor was the youth/budget version of the Vulcan which saved a few pounds by having a more basic stock and no safety-catch. The Victor was also fitted with a slighty weaker spring I think, although the full-power Vulcan one was fitted to the C1.

It is a bonnie little rifle, except for the usual Vulcan/Victor failings like the lack of a breech-bolt allowing the barrel to wobbly about and the rather rudimentary trigger.

You can smooth the trigger out with polishing, adding a trigger shoe to the nasty thin blade also helps and a breech-bolt can be fitted by a competent gunsmith. The power-plant is very consistent and powerful if lubricated correctly (watch out they are easy to put over the limit in .22). They require extra-special care when firing as they are both powerful and light springers so they are very hold-sensitive, once you have mastered the technique it will make a super short-range hunting carbine, great for rats and shots up into trees.

A rare and interesting member of the Webley Clan and one which will appreciate.

See I figured it wasn't a Vulcan due to the fact that the end block of the cylinder was square cut unlike the Vulcan which was nicely rounded. Also the barrel on the one I saw didn't have the Vulcans "bobbin" on the breech of the barrel, you know, the rounded and shaped section of barrel that protruded from the breech and acted as part of the lock up.

These differences made me believe it was an Excel based rifle, but it explains it if its the Victor, although I've not that I've seen a Victor but I was/am 100% sure it wasn't a Vulcan (if I'm wrong well hey ho )

Garrick

Edit having thought about it (not having the guns to hand doesn't help) I might have been wrong over the breech bit but the end block etc. is right
    Last edited by Gnhouse; 21-12-2007 at 10:57 PM.

I'm sure this was based on the Victor, as you could get a Theoben gas ram for the Victor/C1 and the Vulcan, so there must have been a difference. The Vulcan has a bigger cylinder than the C1 from my memory..Very nice handling little gun these..
    ...Diana 24 .177........Feinwerkbau 127.....ASI Sniper .22.. Diana 27 .177. Diana 48 .177 .... HW 98 .22.

steiner Guest
    Ta very much guys ,there`s definately some confusion here ,cos if you pull up the parts diagram on Chambers website for the Vulcan Mk3 you get the Victor diagram( but this time with a safety catch shown, which the "original Victor" diagram doesn`t have).To confuse us more the Mk3 C1 has a side mounted safety and curved Trigger blade ,just like the Vulcan Mk3!Also both rifles(Vulcan and Victor) are listed by Chambers as using the same piston ;PO56 so the cylinders must be identical,

Maybe the Mk1 C1 (no safety catch) is based on the Victor, later versions (with safety catch) might be based on the Vulcan?

Regards

Kenny
    Last edited by steiner; 23-12-2007 at 09:53 PM.

I have the earliest version of the C1. I assume none had leather seals?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I have the earliest version of the C1. I assume none had leather seals?
    Correct. The Vulcan family all had PTFE.