Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The End Of Collecting ...

They are nice scopes, even nicer if it's a Premier Rets multi-line reticle ? (similar to the Zieller ret IIRC), I was offered one a few years ago for about £100, but it was a bit bashed around, I believe the ret conversion was about £125, plus around £170 for the TR scope, so nearly £300, and that was at least 10 years ago, but for field target it would've been the dogs whatsits.

Ben
    Last edited by master_shriller; 22-12-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste
    It`s odd how differerent reactions to a particular rifle can be. I got a Tx200S/R in 0.22" cal and was so taken with it that I couldn`t rest until I had the 0.177" as well. To me a Tx200 is well made, easy to dismantle, of good appearence, and, best of all, easy to shoot with great accuracy. An all time great IMHO.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Just got a tasty Air Arms Prosport Mk 1 so I guess I was wrong ...

Smile collecting eh

i will stop buying airguns when people stop selling the flippin things ps/know any fwb sports going cheap

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How defined?

There's collecting, and there's accumulating. If someone "collects", it's something specific - Webley air pistols or whatever - and he should never stop until he has one of every caliber, barrel length, finish, etc., ever made: and in top condition.

But most gun "collectors" are just accumulators, with no theme to their acquisitions. They'd be better off if they owned only those oieces that they actually use.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

collecting and accumilating are one and the same thing are they not

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I dont think it matters how you collect as long as you enjoy it, sure we all want the best examples but i have several rifles and one webley air pistol which though good shooters are very ropey cosmetically, as they were the first examples i aquired they have sentimental value. In the end vive le difference!

Smile rough

i have a break barrel that i had to spray mat black but it shoots great and i would hate to lose it

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Hi Alistair I'm glad you've found your holy grail , we both know what that feels like don't we . Your 77 sounds really nice. Post a few piccies, if you can. I have a real soft spot for 77's. I don't think anyone reading your thread starter really believes you have bought your last rifle, but if you do feel happy with your collection, then where to now ?? Can you post a few piccies of the 401 as well. I've never heard of this particular piece of kit, but have heard of the shotguns this company manufactures.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    The rifles I now have I have owned since brand new, the Venom 80 I bought from Venom back in 1983. This was a major investment at that time, but 24 years later I still get as much pleasure today as I did then. My Cobra Strike .25 was bought ex display from the factory in Moreton Wirral that marketed this Rifle and manufactured the Champion brand of pellets. We used this brand for pest control purposes at that time and being a regular was offered this rifle (heavily discounted) for Ratting duties a role which it filled admirably. My AA 410K started life as a 400K but was converted by Dave Ramshead for use again on pest control duties, any Squirrel shooters will know a 2nd or even 3rd shot is very handy with this fast moving quarry species. I also own a Milbro Model 23 made in 1964. This I found in the shell of a house firebombed during the May blitz on Liverpool, never found how it got there. Managed to source my dream rifle a Venom 77K a few months back, this is a joy to shoot, I've always wanted this particular Venom model and is the only one I bought 2nd hand. I am now after the FWB 127 and a Air Arms Khamsin I initially owned these rifles in the early and mid 80's and feel a walk down memory lane to own them again totally in order due to my advancing years and the fond memories I have of the original models. I honestly believe that I'll be happy with my collection when I have acquired these, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe an HW35E to form a HW trio . I like most on here have bought owned and sold many air rifles over the years but the above are the ones I want as keepers.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    collecting and accumilating are one and the same thing are they not
    I regard "collecting" as acquiring with a specific theme(s) in mind. "Accumulating" is unorganized acquisition.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I regard "collecting" as acquiring with a specific theme(s) in mind. "Accumulating" is unorganized acquisition.

Jim
    What may seem random to you may not be to the individual concerned. The specific theme you champion could well apply to anothers collection without you ever realising what the theme is. I very much doubt that a philatelist would be denounced as an accumulator for having something other than penny blacks or only stamps before a certain date in his collection. Horses for courses and each to their own.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    What may seem random to you may not be to the individual concerned. The specific theme you champion could well apply to anothers collection without you ever realising what the theme is. I very much doubt that a philatelist would be denounced as an accumulator for having something other than penny blacks or only stamps before a certain date in his collection. Horses for courses and each to their own.
    I agree, mate. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

But I'll bet that with most collectors who do have a theme to their acquisitions: that theme WON'T be hard to discern.

Also, I'd bet most collectors would tell you that the thrill of finally getting that nickeled version or 6-inch barreled model or (whatever) is a bigger thrill than whimsically adding yet-another unrelated piece to their 20-piece accumulation of unrelated whatevers.

But then...maybe that's true only for the serious pursuers of that specific piece. Maybe the accumulators of miscellany get just as much thrill from adding another piece of hodge-podge.

Who knows?

Jim

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Can you post a few piccies of the 401 as well. I've never heard of this particular piece of kit, but have heard of the shotguns this company manufactures.
    I'll get some pics done when it has been refurbed. Hammerli make match air-rifles, pistols and now sporting air-rifles again but they are not imported. I'll do a Review as the 400 series are more influential than most people know. Cheers

Happy New Year !

Wink

miscalany hodge podge they all have one thing in common they are air rifles and we want them thats why we buy them i dont loose any sleep about a particular backsight is genuine or if my model is a particularly fine example its an airgun and i like it and so i collect "airguns"