Thread: A 'How to' guide to sharpening a knife the traditional way.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cheers

Gentlemen, a question. When using an old belt for stropping, is it best to use the burnished front of the belt or the sueded back of the belt? I've always assumed the back, but stand to be corrected.

Si
    Brocock Atomic .177

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Great guide

Thank you very much Sir, I'm gonna give it a try as I've always wondered what the correct method was.

You learn something new everyday on the BBS

Quote Originally Posted by skinhead View Post
    Gentlemen, a question. When using an old belt for stropping, is it best to use the burnished front of the belt or the sueded back of the belt? I've always assumed the back, but stand to be corrected.

Si
    I'm sure it wouldn't make any difference, Si, but I always go for the suede side, as its surface 'picks up' if I have a burr on the steel.

As this burr gets removed, the surface of the suede no longer gets picked up. In effect, the leather tells you about the edge of the knife.

Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Very useful , cheers

very interesting and informative thread cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by skinhead View Post

Si
    use the sueded back as it acts as a wick/resevoir for your stropping paste. autosol or starkie blue will give good results. if you can glue the belt to a flat bit of wood it will give better results.