Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A 'How to' guide to sharpening a knife the traditional way.

Thanks.

The demonstration link works for me now, but not the first one (the actual sharpening) still? Looks like the link format needs to be changed to .mp4 too, then it works.

I'll give that sharpening method a go, looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by sandspider View Post
    Thanks.

The demonstration link works for me now, but not the first one (the actual sharpening) still? Looks like the link format needs to be changed to .mp4 too, then it works.

I'll give that sharpening method a go, looks good.

Try now.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Sorted Cheers.

Phew!!!
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

thanks for that it has been really helpful i have always used an oil stone but never used a belt afterwards i will try that and hopefuly get a lot better finish than i have previously been getting.

stone or ceramic steel

"Whichever you decide to buy, there are differences in using them, but for the benefit of confusion, I shall assume that you have bought the oilstone, as that's what many of you will find more readily available."

How do you feel an oilstone compares to a ceramic 'steel' or rod as these seem a lot easier to use?

They do different jobs, Ken.
    A steel will set the 'teeth' of a blade back in line, whereas a stone will put a bevel on the steel.

Great post!!!!
    HW95K - Theoben Evolution

Hi i have heard through the grapevine that Denim ( jean material) is also good to use for the finish on a knive sharpen? Anyone used this method! And does it work effectively?Regards Andy

Quote Originally Posted by croydonian View Post
    Hi i have heard through the grapevine that Denim ( jean material) is also good to use for the finish on a knife sharpen? Anyone used this method? And does it work effectively?Regards Andy
    Yes, it is.

Straight razors (cut throats) are stropped on canvas before leather, and denim is just lightweight canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by croydonian View Post
    Hi i have heard through the grapevine that Denim ( jean material) is also good to use for the finish on a knive sharpen? Anyone used this method! And does it work effectively?Regards Andy
    Yes

Sadly I cut my right buttock off as apparently their is a "right" technique and a "wrong" technique.

The right technique is to take your jeans off first
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

really good thread, thanks for all the tips guys.

Smudge

knife sharpening

All good advice here. I would add to always work the knife edge away fron you and reduce the sweeps of the stone until you are only doing one each way , then strop to a finish. If the blade will not slip over the surface of a fingernail but immediately 'grips' you have developed a pretty good edge.

found this very good as im always trying to keep my hunting knives sharp,i will check the links that have been put up and order a stone thanks for sharing

Great thanks for this, been having trouble getting my carving knife sharp enough to even make a dent so i'll dig it out and have another go at it!