Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A 'How to' guide to sharpening a knife the traditional way.

Thumbs up

Really useful, Thanks

my brother is a butcher an he is a dab hand at doing mine

Great tips - cheers

it works very well by friend loves knifes he dose it all the time

i think i will print this out and give it a try. i dont think ive had a knife that sharp from new

Very informative Thanks

super info thanks allot
    greet Andy
    live your life and be happy

been lookin for ages on differnt sites on how to sharpen my knife, and this is the most informative and easiest to follow thankyou.

sharp

top tips thanks

thanks, good info

blade

very good post, i like a sharp blade but like most i put very little effort and thought into it, im going to go and try it rite now (a&e here i come)

Sharpening things

I think all the methods of sharpening have some merit in differing circumstances.Tormek for example make great machines for sharpening almost anything, hollow ground edge etc etc. if you can afford the high price tag. A steel is clean way for quickly putting an edge on a knife for cutting the Sunday roast but cannot be considered very portable. Oilstones and leather strops will undoubtably produce an edge capable of shaving the hair from the back of your hand with ease. Newer diamond stones are also great just need a little water for lubrication and can be easily cleaned with a plastic eraser after use.

Many years ago when we were apprentices we were taught how to sharpen all sorts of items, drill bits, cutting tools etc. Grinding angles and required 'clearance' (space available for the cut material to go whilst it is being removed from the work piece) for cutting all different types of material. Different materials require different angles of attack.

Knife sharpening is no different there would be little point in spending time putting a real fine edge on say an axe when after two swipes at some hard wood knocks the edge right off making the tool worse than it was had we not touched it, and we need not use a cleaving type angle on a filleting knife used for skinning fish. Give some thought to what you want to achieve and set up your stone or blade so it cannot move. Practice dry runs of how you will need to change your arm movement to maintain your angle as the shape of the blade changes. Manipulate the blade slowly paying particular attention to getting the correct angle and using slow strokes in one direction prepare the edge. Use the same amount of strokes on each side of a blade to retain symmetry and slowly but surely you will get there. If you find maintaining the angle is to difficult then a simple jig is the key. With practice we are all capable of mastering this supposed black art.

Good luck Steve

nice guide there mate, i will try this on my knife today

how to sharpen

Remember to use a polishing compound on your strop works wonders. I bought an old belt from a charity shop nice and cheap. Steels are for straightening an edge not putting a new one on. You would be surprised how many people confuse this, even famous TV $#%&@ chefs .

very useful especially the point that different materials require different cutting angles,