Thread: HW 80 Help needed

Brodie Guest

HW 80 Help needed

Can anybody tell me how difficult it is to shorten the barrel of a HW80. I would like to fit a silencer to the gun and rather than file the sight grooves away I was thinking of shortening the barrel slightly. How much barrel should be removed, my HW80 is fitted with the standard length barrel and is a .22
    Does anyone have views on which silencer is the best for the HW80.

personally i wouldnt do it myself, if it needs to be shortened send it to a proper gun smith, its not easy to shorten a barrel and get accurate results afterwards!

rogo Guest
    Buy a bisley silencer. They have a cut out to slide over the tunnel groves.

Got one on my 80 and is very good.

Re: HW 80 Help needed

Last edited by Rustam Bana; 24-03-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Re: Re: HW 80 Help needed

Originally posted by Rustam Bana
    A barrel length of 12" or 13" (including length of breech block) wont affect the velocity of a 12 ft.lber.

Push a pellet into the bore so that it is just behind the cutting mark. This prevents the bore from unnecessary fouling.

You will need a lathe that has a deep enough chuck to accomodate the breech block. If the lathe can accomodate the cocking link then you wont have to remove it. If not, you will have to rivet the cocking link back afterwards.

Cut perpendicular to the bore. Do not let the barrel heat up too much. Polish the cut end with emery paper and chamfer the bore slightly.

Clean the bore. Re-blue or wipe the muzzle end with an oily rag to prevent rust.

You will loose the choke and may need to go through the pellet selection process again. Accuracy will not be harmed.

I use the Venom V-Tech Long Series silencer on my '80k and feel it does a good job.

Rustam
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 24-03-2004 at 08:18 PM.

Kev. Guest
    so good he said it twice

Brodie Guest
    I think I am liking the sound of the Bisley Silencer that does not need any filing or cutting. Are these any good ?????????
    Can anyone recommend somewhere or someone who could shorten the barrel for me ???????
    How much does this cost ????????

Sorry. But with one eye on the tele (we just beat the Pakis in the ODI series) I must have pressed the wrong button.

Kev. Guest
    Brodie, try giving Thomas Turners a ring they are based in Reading and are a Gunmakers, who deal with airguns, I am sure they can help.

DM80 Guest

HW80

Brodie if you would like the barrel shortening & keep it's front sight rails and the barrels choke i could shorten it from the breech end for you' email me for details.

Dave .