Thread: Tight Dianas

Tight Dianas

Gentleman.
    I recently purchased for nostalgias sake a Diana Model 22 .177 air rifle. I did not buy it as a shooter but who can resist “testing” any new rifle in ones collection.I found that none of my brands of pellets would easily fit into the barrels breech and I had to give them a start with the aid of a match stick. This is not a problem I have ever had with any of my British air rifles be they older or more modern then the Mod 22.
    However I do have in my collection a Diana MK IV .177 air pistol. I bought this pistol second hand over 40 years ago. Whilst I had it in England I had no problems with it but once I came to New Zealand I had to retire it because it too did not like the local brands of pellets. As with the Mod 22 the pellets appear too large, or the bore too small.
    All the other rifles and pistols in my small collection digest the local ammo with no problems. Only the Dianas appear to be fussy. Could this be because they were made on German equipment?
    One other question. When I dug my Diana MK IV pistol out to note the model for this question I noticed that on the bottom of the pistol grip 12.64 B is stamped. Does this have any significance?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by barryeye View Post
    One other question. When I dug my Diana MK IV pistol out to note the model for this question I noticed that on the bottom of the pistol grip 12.64 B is stamped. Does this have any significance?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Barry
    Every Diana I've ever seen, has had the date of manufacture stamped into them somewhere. So I suspect that's what the above is.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    When I dug my Diana MK IV pistol out to note the model for this question I noticed that on the bottom of the pistol grip 12.64 B is stamped. Does this have any significance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Every Diana I've ever seen, has had the date of manufacture stamped into them somewhere. So I suspect that's what (it) is.
    ... Ditto Steve's words of wisdom ... your Diana MkIV pistol therefore was manufactured December 1964 . Atb M8 & Happy New Year.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    When I dug my Diana MK IV pistol out to note the model for this question I noticed that on the bottom of the pistol grip 12.64 B is stamped. Does this have any significance?
    Oops, forgot to ad above that I have also been told that the significance of the B denotes production line B (apparently there were two dealing with these which were A, and yep you've guessed it, B )? I've also heard it said that A denoted .22 and B .177, but as I have seen a B stamped on the stock of a .22 G80, I'm not so sure about this (although it's always possible that a stock destine for a .177 rifle was diverted to the .22 production line in error ). Atb Barry, and if you do hear any other theories pertaining to the B I would be very interested (Gareth).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thank you Gentleman. Once again I leave this forum a wiser man.
    Barry

Diana 4 pistol

Hello Barryeye,I'll swap you a vgc Falke 70 rifle for your Diana pistol?:-)regards,Trevor A.(Auckland)

Thank you Trevor. Your fame goes before you. For those of you who don’t know Trevor. A. is probably New Zealand’s most well known expert on air guns. He is a regular contributor to our first rate magazine “New Zealand Guns and Hunting”.
    In the latest issue he has written a very interesting article on the first Crossman Pneumatic rifles.
    I on the other hand am at the other end of the “Expert” scale. Trevor, I have no idea what a Falke 70 looks like but you can bet I am going to do some research. If I like what I see you are on for a swap mate.
    Give me a couple of days and I’ll send some pictures of my pistol direct to you. Any chance of a picture of the Falke?

Shame you missed out on that MKIII on Trade Me.
    Barry

Trevor, I have no idea what a Falke 70 looks like but you can bet I am going to do some research. If I like what I see you are on for a swap mate.
    Give me a couple of days and I’ll send some pictures of my pistol direct to you. Any chance of a picture of the Falke?

Barry
    This may be of some assistance: Falke 70.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thank you Ian. The real thing will arrive today. I am looking forward to testing it when I get home from work.

Barry