Thread: NS156 Screwed?

Acedrew Guest

NS156 Screwed?

Has any of you armchair-toting NV types (!) ever removed the dovetail rail from underneath a NS156 NV scope?

I was wondering if these (2?) screws/bolts are readily removeable, or whether loctite is typically used at the factory.

(As my scope is in the post, I'm trying to get my head round the options for a 'bespoke' mount for the S410).

Andy

Andy,

I believe Sid on this very BBS should be able to sort this out for you including making the custom mount.

Cheers

Clive

Armchair-toter here!!

Summink like this?

Speak to 'stillair1' or 'Ed W'

HTH.

To be good, one must do good.

Acedrew Guest

Harrier Piccy

Thanks Baldie - the Harrier photo illustrates the sort of thing I'm gunning for (nocturanally of course) wrt my 410.

From the photo it appears that the NS156 dovetail rail is still in situ under the scope (but I could be wrong).

Ideally I would prefer to discard the rail if possible (so as to give the simplest mecanical interface with the new, bespoke, mount). Therefore I wish to understand the implications (if any) of doing so.

Andy

Acedrew

I have a larger image that seems to reveal the original dovetail has been removed and a mounting plate has been fixed to the lower face of the scope.

This mounting plate holds the clamps that lock onto the dovetail of the air rifle. This arrangement effectively changes the NS-156 male dovetail, into a female clamp, and provides the minimal standoff height short of direct drilling into the rifle.

Think 'glen' and 'cliveward' have both successfully had rifles drilled for mounting NV.

Not something that I would want to do, and maybe even less so with an NS-156 as one of the sight adjusters sits lower than the scope body IIRC.

As before, I'd strongly recommend talking to the guys who have been down this route already.

Acedrew Guest
    OK Baldie - thanks again.

Any chance of a look at the bigger photo?

TIA

Andy

Here's another view, can post some closer pics of the mount next week when I get the digi cam back.

[IMG] http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00409336f00000005.jpg[/IMG]

Acedrew Guest
    Thank you Stillair - much obliged.

Acedrew

Have found another of Neil's photo's in my files. CLEARLY shows I'm talking a load of bo¦¦ocks, as this picture indicates the male dovetail is still on the scope.

Oh well....

This is reasonably big piccy too.

Acedrew Guest

Harrier pic.

Well spotted that man.

Acedrew Guest

Pics

Thanks Stillair1. That clarifies things nicely.

Does the big central screw tap into the dovetail, or go straight through into the scope base itself?

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy
    The central screw passes through the sportsmatch mount and locates into the dovetail base on the scope. I'm using the original screw and hole for the extended weaver base fitting. I can convert back to original spec if needed.
    Last edited by stillair1; 30-03-2004 at 05:39 PM.

Acedrew Guest

Attachment info

Thanks again Stillair1.

I'm just waiting for the scope to arrive, then I'll sus out how the eye-relief looks before finalising the geometry for the mount.

I'm tempted to do away with the scopes dovetail though.

Andy

Acedrew Guest

Oops

Ooops, forgot to ask Stillair1.....

Am I correct in thinking there are 2 (countersunk?) screws that securing the captive dovetail rail to the scope body?

(Of course I could just wait a day or two and answer my own question, but being an engineer I am unable to supress curiosity).

Andy